• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The feel of "shifting "with a CVT is a simulation created by the TCM to make it feel more "normal". In marketing studies it was found many did not like/trust the lack of shift points. So software to the rescue.They really are continusly variable. And, like Goofyone, I cannot stand them. I do not like the way they make the engine operate. It might be at the "best" rpm range , but for what application. Last night on my drive home, my truck (Vortek 350 4WD) never went above 2100RPM. If I had needed more acceleration , a firm shove with the right foot would have provided it instantly. The CVTs I have driven do not suit me, to disconnected. I have never driven an AMT, but I like manuals, want to keep my money(upgrade cost to AMT),and less complexity. And, I know I will like the manual rather than "AMT may be OK".
Well said. I'm Leary of an AMT that may or may not shift like I want. At least with the manual, I'll control how jerky it is.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another tough question for G1. If someone bought an E-car with the AMT and later decided they didn't like it. How hard would it be to swap it out for a manual? Are the provisions there for a clutch pedal and master cylinder? I'm assuming the E-car will use a hydraulic clutch.
The reason I'm asking, a good friend recently bought a really nice 1970 VW beetle with the dreaded autostick, as such the car came without a clutch cable tube in the tunnel, he had to find a donor pan with a manual trans and bolt the body onto the donor pan to complete the build.
I'm hoping if I do opt for the AMT and later decide it doesn't meet my expectations, I can just swap out the tranny, mount a clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave cylinder, and be good to go. I realize there will be no clutch pedal, but as long as the bracket for one and the master cylinder are there, I'm good.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would approach that issue by selling the AMT Elio (at a nice profit, seeing how it's a rare 16
model), and picking up a nice new one already converted :)
Good idea, you know by the time I make up my mind on the AMT, the seat and door will be worn out from all the people checking it out. Maybe I'll just keep it for the wife and get me a SPORTY model

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea, you know by the time I make up my mind on the AMT, the seat and door will be worn out from all the people checking it out. Maybe I'll just keep it for the wife and get me a SPORTY model

interesting concept .... at the price of an Elio, more folks can afford to own more than one new vehicle .. :)

Jim

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another tough question for G1. If someone bought an E-car with the AMT and later decided they didn't like it. How hard would it be to swap it out for a manual? Are the provisions there for a clutch pedal and master cylinder? I'm assuming the E-car will use a hydraulic clutch.
The reason I'm asking, a good friend recently bought a really nice 1970 VW beetle with the dreaded autostick, as such the car came without a clutch cable tube in the tunnel, he had to find a donor pan with a manual trans and bolt the body onto the donor pan to complete the build.
I'm hoping if I do opt for the AMT and later decide it doesn't meet my expectations, I can just swap out the tranny, mount a clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave cylinder, and be good to go. I realize there will be no clutch pedal, but as long as the bracket for one and the master cylinder are there, I'm good.
Should have the hard points for a clutch pedal there. Add pedal, lines, master and slave cylinder, and manual trans, and you are back in business.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The manual/Auto is the one factory option I believe. You can fix anything. The real question is it cost effective.
Well first I need to find out more about the AMT, my gearhead buddies have never heard of it either, but my most trusted one, the one who bought the cherry '70 autostick Beetle for cheap, then realized he couldn't put a clutch in it and had to buy a complete pan for it. He reassured me that the things they're doing these days with computer controls are amazing and to keep an open mind. I'll just have to wait and see. I'm really looking forward to hearing feedback from the test drives and going for one myself. In the mean time I'll just hang out here in the "Waiting Room" as we learn all things Elio.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CVT can work for towing/heavy work. The weight and cost might keep it out of highway stuff, but all the major farm machinery makers build mid to high HP tractors with CVT. They're ideal there, vary engine rpms to save fuel when working light, vary speed for max efficiency on heavy loads, or anywhere in between.

(These are NOT the hydrostatic transmissions marketed as CVT that compact tractors use).

Like you said, the jury is still out on long term cost/reliability, but so far they're well received. We will see what happens 20 years/10-15000 hours down the road.

Would you give me the model numbers or any other leads?
I didn't know that CVT's were being used on tractors.
This is of great interest to me.
(imagine a CVT on a large truck!)

Top Bottom