• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're most probably right! I've always used 87 octane on my 4 cyl. because it's cheaper and my car does not required premium but on occasion when gas is cheap, I load up on premium and I do notice better acceleration!
Maybe becauses high octane fuel is the flagship fuel from the gas companies. Many do put more detergents and fuel system cleaners in their premium grade. IMO, run a bottle of Sea Foam fuel additive through a tank of gas at every oil change for the same performance effect. Fuels are nasty these days, and Sea Foam seems to work the best for me. Anyone else have something better out there to offer? I'd hate to think I'm walking past a better choice, just because Sea Foam is the best I've found so far.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe becauses high octane fuel is the flagship fuel from the gas companies. Many do put more detergents and fuel system cleaners in their premium grade. IMO, run a bottle of Sea Foam fuel additive through a tank of gas at every oil change for the same performance effect. Fuels are nasty these days, and Sea Foam seems to work the best for me. Anyone else have something better out there to offer? I'd hate to think I'm walking past a better choice, just because Sea Foam is the best I've found so far.

for gasoline powered engines, Sea Foam is about as good as it gets

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So a cubic centimeter is about 0.061024 of a cubic inch. So if you take the Elio's 900cc engine and multiply it by 0.061024 you get 54.9216 cubic inches. At 55 hp that would give the Elio the elusive 1 hp per cubic inch figure!

This would make the Elio's powerplant a naturally aspirated hi performance engine. This ratio was almost unheard of just a few years ago! (In naturally aspirated engines)

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So a cubic centimeter is about 0.061024 of a cubic inch. So if you take the Elio's 900cc engine and multiply it by 0.061024 you get 54.9216 cubic inches. At 55 hp that would give the Elio the elusive 1 hp per cubic inch figure!

This would make the Elio's powerplant a naturally aspirated hi performance engine. This ratio was almost unheard of just a few years ago! (In naturally aspirated engines)

Not that impressive, my 2006 Kia Rio had a 1.6L motor and 110HP at the crank, which is a little better ratio than the Elio. And at the time when I bought the car, it was one of the cheapest new cars on the market. My 2012 Hyundai Veloster made 138HP from a direct injection version of the same 1.6L motor and was definitely still not in the high performance category. The benchmark lately for performance numbers has been closer to 100HP per liter, normally aspirated. Like the Honda S2000 pushing 237 HP from a 2L motor.

That tells me that there is some more performance to squeeze out of the motor before even going with a turbo, sacrificing gas mileage of course.

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not that impressive, my 2006 Kia Rio had a 1.6L motor and 110HP at the crank, which is a little better ratio than the Elio. And at the time when I bought the car, it was one of the cheapest new cars on the market. My 2012 Hyundai Veloster made 138HP from a direct injection version of the same 1.6L motor and was definitely still not in the high performance category. The benchmark lately for performance numbers has been closer to 100HP per liter, normally aspirated. Like the Honda S2000 pushing 237 HP from a 2L motor.

That tells me that there is some more performance to squeeze out of the motor before even going with a turbo, sacrificing gas mileage of course.
Another Veloster owner here....only the turbo version. 1.6 liter @ 201HP. Very fun!

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I thought I was one of the younger ones here. I grew up driving 210 hp 302 and 230 hp 350. My 454 powered k3500 made 237 hp. All the old timers would talk about the days cars almost hit the magic 1 hp per cubic inch number. That was everyone's goal that Mopar 440 with 440 hp or that old 400 hp Pontiac 400.

The Elio with it's single cam and traditional 2 valves per cylinder is more comparable to yesteryear than today's twin (or quad for V configurations) cam, direct injected über high compression engines.

I guess I was thinking apples to apples and not apples to thanksgiving dinner.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I was one of the younger ones here. I grew up driving 210 hp 302 and 230 hp 350. My 454 powered k3500 made 237 hp. All the old timers would talk about the days cars almost hit the magic 1 hp per cubic inch number. That was everyone's goal that Mopar 440 with 440 hp or that old 400 hp Pontiac 400.

The Elio with it's single cam and traditional 2 valves per cylinder is more comparable to yesteryear than today's twin (or quad for V configurations) cam, direct injected über high compression engines.

I guess I was thinking apples to apples and not apples to thanksgiving dinner.

Indeed, it is a much different world now. My first car was a 1987 Mustang LX with the dog of a 2.3L and I drooled over the 5.0s pushing 225HP. The current Mustang 5.0 has 435HP!

Top Bottom