• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

Mark323

Reaction score
I love fast cars, in my sports cars I won't put up with slow, but in an elio that costs a fraction of any modern performance car's cost that I plan to commute in I can deal with it being quite slow from the factory.(I can always fix that later)

My 1971 VW bus only came with 57 hp and it weighs more than 2x what the elio is supposed to yet it gets from A to B acceptably considering it's age and the fact that it's also dragging around a extra bedroom and kitchen.;)

Good point... a little NOS for the lights - lol - jk

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been driving for a few decades and in that time I've discovered good acceleration -- like good handling, good brakes, or a good horn -- can help you avoid accidents.

I heard about the Elio several years ago. (Watched Aptera fold during that time....) About 6 months ago I heard Elio was still coming to market. A few weeks ago I heard more Elio news so I read up on it.

Going thru old info on the web, I read it was coming w/70hp, then 60 (w/Mr. Elio saying he's willing to go down to 50 hp to get 84 mpg hwy), and today I read in a new Forbes article it says twice the Elio will come with 55 hp engine.... (Unless Forbes confused the Geo Metro engine's hp w/the production model's.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...e-wheel-car-that-could-be-the-next-big-thing/

Assuming the weight stays the same, falling hp means decreasing rates of acceleration. So, instead of a poll re. hp ("How low are you willing to go?"), I thought I'd cut to the bottom line: How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

Ahhhh, yes. The "Forbes" article.

In reading their article yesterday, I noticed that they ALSO got the size of the Elio incorrect. They down sized it to " about the size of the Honda Civic." In actuality, the Elio comes in a little longer than the Honda Accord.

Some media outlets make you wonder who's side they are on, and what they are trying to do. Need to weight the good vs bad publicity.

Their hp assessment of the Elio? Hmmm. . . . . . .maybe. Maybe NOT. The Elio is still in the design stages. . . . . Not much is cast in stone yet. :rolleyes:

Mark323

Reaction score
That's true for sure... unless you lose quite a bit of weight in the process! 0-60 in a Prius takes 10.9 seconds according to Motor Trend... that is pretty slow. The Elio would almost feel sprightly.

I just got a prius c (Tired of waiting for elio to save gas) It seems peppy enough for my commute, I've been getting about 55 - 60 mpg on my commutes now. It's not SRT-4 on acceleration, but then I am not getting 23 mpg max on premium gas either..... The real problem is the impatient idiots on the road... you know the kind, tail gaters, people late for work, people on cell phones... or just plain jerks hating on smaller cars for some reason.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I just got a prius c (Tired of waiting for elio to save gas) It seems peppy enough for my commute, I've been getting about 55 - 60 mpg on my commutes now. It's not SRT-4 on acceleration, but then I am not getting 23 mpg max on premium gas either..... The real problem is the impatient idiots on the road... you know the kind, tail gaters, people late for work, people on cell phones... or just plain jerks hating on smaller cars for some reason.
I'm not normally one of those "impatient idiots", but I do insist on being able to merge at highway speed at the end of the ramp.

People trying to crawl onto a busy highway are one of the major causes of accidents and congestion.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love fast cars, in my sports cars I won't put up with slow, but in an elio that costs a fraction of any modern performance car's cost that I plan to commute in I can deal with it being quite slow from the factory.(I can always fix that later)

My 1971 VW bus only came with 57 hp and it weighs more than 2x what the elio is supposed to yet it gets from A to B acceptably considering it's age and the fact that it's also dragging around a extra bedroom and kitchen.;)

Like your thinking 2.ooohhh!

Bottom line is; regardless of what any of us drive, it's ALL about going from "point A to point B," isn't it? :rolleyes:

And whether we ride a horse, drive a Lamborghini, or or drive an Elio, THE LAW still only allows us to travel at the posted speed limits.

So, A. How much do we want to spend to get from point A to point B?

And B. Where is the jack rabbit speeds going to be allowed to be sustained for any prolonged period of time?

Give me my $6800 Elio, and I will either see you at point "B" when we get there, or I will see and PASS you by as you sit on the side of the road, graciously accepting your ticket to the policemans ball. o_O

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I voted for as fast as possible, but that's just me...I don't think I'll be letting any moss grow under my Elio, but whatever I get is what I get and it will go as fast and as economically as it goes how it goes. I'm gonna like it no matter how quick or slow it is. I will have the loudest horn I can find on it,,,just so I can say hello on occasion (to other Elio's).

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I voted for as fast as possible, but that's just me...I don't think I'll be letting any moss grow under my Elio, but whatever I get is what I get and it will go as fast and as economically as it goes how it goes. I'm gonna like it no matter how quick or slow it is. I will have the loudest horn I can find on it,,,just so I can say hello on occasion (to other Elio's).

BRAVO! Very well said, olddog1946!

I'm with you!

Top Bottom