• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about painting for the colors; my thought (and this is mentioned on the Elio site) is wraps.
This way when you get tired of a color, or you want to match something new in your life you can peel off an existing wrap and put on a new one.
I think most NASCAR's are complete body wraps on a base color. You can even do seasonal or banner it for a special event.

I want the security of a nicely done base paint job in the color I prefer; with that, I can add graphics via wraps but always have a solid foundation to work with. I love bright yellow cars (Screamin' Yellow is just my term for a blindingly bright, happy yellow color that stands out even on a cloudy day!) and know that I will be happy to live with that color on a daily basis. Factory paint would mean that everything would be properly trimmed around the openings and under the hood without a major dissassembly effort being required to get there.

If I have to paint it the color I want, I have to spend time and money stripping it down and masking to properly repaint it. With that time invested, I may as well commit to masking our the graphics and spraying them into the mix- the car will already be off the road due to the repaint. Better that I have the complete body color I want to allow more driving and less painting!:p

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Factory paint makes a great "base" for custom paint. Just pick a color that will work the best for you. There should be no need to "strip" the factory paint. :)

Yes, I'm aware of that... what I meant by stripping it down was removing trim, glass, and other bits that I wouldn't want to paint, then having to mask the rest prior to spraying the new colors. We've all likely seen cars where the color was changed from the factory paint- there always seems to be areas that don't get painted and end up ruining the appearance of the color change when you open a door or lift the carpet. With a removable skin for a body, the entire spare body could be painted off of the vehicle itself, then mounted when the paint was cured and ready to go! If Elio uses a standard color scheme for the interior panels (say a satin black with clip-on trim for color accents), then the vehicle would appear the same no matter what color panels were placed on the outside. :cool:

mainst73

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about painting for the colors; my thought (and this is mentioned on the Elio site) is wraps.
This way when you get tired of a color, or you want to match something new in your life you can peel off an existing wrap and put on a new one.
I think most NASCAR's are complete body wraps on a base color. You can even do seasonal or banner it for a special event.
A wrap was my first thought, all the racecars at the shop are wrapped, would like to do mine is a full chrome wrap then layer some red extras. By the way... I really like shiney things!

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it costs a lot of money to do a wrap. Even on a small car like this I'm betting $2000+. That's not something you are going to do more than once unless you're rich (in which case, why buy a $6800 car?...Just wrap your Porsche every year!). So in answer to "Coss", no, you won't be doing this every year (seasonal or banner).

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid this thread I started has gotten a little old. Nobody is as excited to see different colors anymore. We know Elio isn't going to do anything worthwhile in colors (such blah reds and blues and nothing exciting about black, white and grey... only the ugly Kawasaki green and the orange are bright but they'll sell a lot less of those than any other color because they are TOO personal. You either love them or hate them. Some nice subdued pastels are not as hateable as the bright or dark colors and everyone would find several they like), and it's too costly to repaint (and difficult when inside door panels don't match, inside fender wells, etc. Changing colors on cars with paint jobs either looks terrible, or you have to disassemble the whole car) and wraps aren't cheap either, and won't last as long as a paint job. We are pretty much stuck with those 7 colors the first year. Maybe I should sell my place in line #748 and wait until the second generation and see if they'll produce some love with their colors?

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! That gets complicated. I assume my local RMV can school me?
Need to watch the colors, in some states there are some colors that are ban, while in other states they are not allowed at all. In some states only certain colors are allowed to be visible from the front, with different colors allowed to be visible from the rear of the vehicle.

That is pure BS. There are no color codes for vehicles in states, no laws were ever passed against for for car colors anywhere in the US. Our government can not control that sort of thing. Where did you get that information? I think another internet HOAX got you! "some state there are colors thar are ban (sic), while in other states they are not allowed at all" REALLY? you need to look up what "ban" means.

Top Bottom