• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Movie "pump" -flex-fuel For The Elio??

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because of the large usage of gasoline by our nation, there are gasoline pipelines that distribute gasoline over the nation. This is not oil, but refined gasoline. I remember hearing years ago that the seals in these pipelines, which were placed in the ground many years ago, could not withstand alcohol any more than automotive flexible holes could many years ago. Alcohol would break them down. I heard this is why alcohol is not used more in gasoline.
Didn't think so- too too dangerous Just an aside when I was a volunteer firefighter (upstate NY ) a major (50") natural gas pipeline ruptured. The pressure was so great the sound was deafening and couldn't flame or explode.
With the huge network of natural gas lines it might be easy to assume that "gas" pipelines might be interpreted as gasoline.
  1. Pipeline101 - Why-Do-We-Need-Pipelines
    www.pipeline101.com/why-do-we-need-pipelines
    America depends on a network of more than 185,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines, nearly 320,000 miles of gas transmission pipelines, and more than 2 million miles of gas distribution pipelines to safely and efficiently move energy and raw materials to fuel our nation's economic engine.

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you call waste. It used to be plowed back under and fertilized the land as part of crop rotation. Now you would be lucky to grow anything in those fields without artificial fertilizer.
........."Big benefits of using ethanol fuel blends are the possible reduction in harmful additives"...........
Possible reduction?
Let's see. We put tetra ethyl lead in gas to reduce knocking (preignition) then we removed lead for environment then we added catalytic converters which forced us to run rich mixtures (waste fuel) then added MTBE to reduce knocking but replaced it with ethanol which we mandated and which was bad for the engines. And with all of our technology we still have mandated solutions that force us to run engines on the wrong mixtures which wastes fuel.
May not have all of the sequences quite right, but, sounds like our scientific methodology and political solutions have put us in a circular firing squad.

There were (are?) certainly some missteps along the line, MTBE is a significant one for sure. Overall though, cars run much cleaner and are more energy efficient than what we had just twenty years ago. Not to mention that modern engines also often last longer than the ones we had in the past.

When I get my Elio, it will use a fraction of the fuel that many of my previous cars did and the tailpipe emissions will have dropped even more. All that is only possible with modern fuel saving and environmental technologies, part of which are ethanol based additives. That's real progress in my eyes.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There were (are?) certainly some missteps along the line, MTBE is a significant one for sure. Overall though, cars run much cleaner and are more energy efficient than what we had just twenty years ago. Not to mention that modern engines also often last longer than the ones we had in the past.

When I get my Elio, it will use a fraction of the fuel that many of my previous cars did and the tailpipe emissions will have dropped even more. All that is only possible with modern fuel saving and environmental technologies, part of which are ethanol based additives. That's real progress in my eyes.

Can't totally argue with you, but unfortunately, catalytic converters require the the engine to run rich so it can use the 'extra' fuel to convert Carbon Monoxide. Since we are doing so much with the Engine Control Computer it would be nice if a control could run a bypass on the catalytic converter when the vehicle is in high gear and over 50MPH. That would allow us to run a leaner mixture without hurting the catalytic converter. (I saw a program that said Ferrari or one of the Italian cars had such a device for that purpose.) Wouldn't be good for the city, but would help on the open road.
Of course that exhaust cutover valve might be costly.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't think so- too too dangerous Just an aside when I was a volunteer firefighter (upstate NY ) a major (50") natural gas pipeline ruptured. The pressure was so great the sound was deafening and couldn't flame or explode.
With the huge network of natural gas lines it might be easy to assume that "gas" pipelines might be interpreted as gasoline.
    America depends on a network of more than 185,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines, nearly 320,000 miles of gas transmission pipelines, and more than 2 million miles of gas distribution pipelines to safely and efficiently move energy and raw materials to fuel our nation's economic engine.
I believe they do ship petroleum products (heating oil, gasoline of different grades, diesel, etc.) through pipelines.
Here are some links:

http://www.refinerlink.com/blog/Pipelines_Ship_Refinery_Products_to_Pump/

In the website address you gave me,
http://www.pipeline101.com/why-do-we-need-pipelines
you quoted the last paragraph. The first paragraph mentions gasoline (which I have underlined) and says:

Everyone knows the location of their local gas station; your home may be warmed by heating oil or natural gas; and many homes use natural gas for cooking. But did you know that these products – gasoline, home heating oil, and natural gas – travel long distances from refineries and natural gas plants to communities all over the nation through underground pipelines?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

50" is a BIG pipeline.

Farm Boy 2

Elio Fan
Reaction score
For more info on E85, see my earlyer thread "E85 Flex fuel engine". it will fill in alot of the missing and misinformation on E85, its in the drive train forum, started Feb 22 2014
P.S. I forgot my old pass word and started a new acount. I was just "Farm Boy" before, old age is a drag!!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My bad you are correct on both observations. Memory's a bitch, but not an excuse.
That's nothing. Remember when I confused NSTG8R for texaselio?

The only person who never made a mistake is the person who never did anything.

I know I make mistakes, but at my age, life is too short to hold back and sit on the sidelines.

My motto: Full speed ahead! Post away!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's nothing. Remember when I confused NSTG8R for texaselio?

The only person who never made a mistake is the person who never did anything.

I know I make mistakes, but at my age, life is too short to hold back and sit on the sidelines.

My motto: Full speed ahead! Post away!
you and me both! gonna be 73 December and no E - I'm going out with a Slingshot!

Top Bottom