• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Movie "pump" -flex-fuel For The Elio??

Farm Boy 2

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Although it's a pleasant thought to think corn growing is a Mom and Pop operation, It's large conglomerates with their Industrialized food production that drives the market, and for sure, any money making use of their product wouldn't enter the discussion. Further, it's really our government that owns the corn, being the most heavily subsidized "farm" product.

Netflix "King Corn", great little flic that shares the reality of this risk free business operates-

" subsidized crops benefit from an increasingly complex layering of subsidy programs begun in the 1930s and altered haphazardly ever since. The primary subsidy system today consists of the following elements, each of which will be explained in more detail below.

• Direct payments are paid at a set rate every year regardless of conditions.
  • Counter-cyclical payments are triggered when market prices fall below certain thresholds.
  • A new revenue assurance program provides for overall profitability for a given crop.
  • Marketing loans offer very favorable terms whereby farmers can realize tremendous gains through loan deficiency payments (LDPs) and commodity certificates.
  • Disaster payments recoup large losses due to natural phenomena. And the government subsidizes crop insurance to further insulate farmers from risk."

As for subsidies, you might want to look at the current farm bill, there has been a lot of changes and simplifications in the newest farm[ just passed this year] bill from the last one. Crop insurance in the most utilized item and it is subsidized, just like flood and hurricane insurance is.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As for subsidies, you might want to look at the current farm bill, there has been a lot of changes and simplifications in the newest farm[ just passed this year] bill from the last one. Crop insurance in the most utilized item and it is subsidized, just like flood and hurricane insurance is.
Welcome to the forum you're in a great place to learn much about the Elio, I know your not comparing farm subsidies with flood and hurricane insurance.
Oranges and apples? Farmers who are guaranteed an income even when nothing grows, providing benefits only for them, as compared to insurance which must be purchased by individuals to folks help offset losses. Gee wiz.
Anyway, not to dwell on the politics of gas, I'll wish us both success in getting what we do have very much in common
It's X;III have a good night all

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the Repug-produced, taxpayer-subsidized ethanol industry is a huge scam supporting BigAg. Wasting water and crop land, including adding NEW acreage, to grow transport fuel, 100% insane, esp now with the world-wide glut of cheap oil.

Sorry , you are mis-informed . Ethanol tax credits were introduced in the Energy Tax Act of 1978 by ( Uber Liberal ) ,Jimmy Carter .
The only real opposition in over 30 years was from the Tea Party and Paul Ryan in 2012 . In Jan of that year , the federal tax credits for ethanol expired under a Republican Congress . However Carter's damage is baked in the cake . Even without tax credits , Ethanol is now 10% of the nation’s gasoline supply .

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is Corn Ethanol Breaking The Law?

Corn ethanol may be breaking the law, according to a study from last month, “Cropland Expansion Outpaces Agricultural and Biofuel Policies in the United States.”

It appears that corn was caught yellow-handed by University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers in a plot with other crops like soy to replace “millions of acres of grasslands.” But scientists named corn the ring-leader: “Corn was the most common crop planted directly on new land.”

I know you’re wondering, “since when is it illegal to replace carbon-storing grassland with the Walter White of Biofuels?” Answer: Since the federal Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), “which requires blending of gasoline with biofuels that are supposed to be grown only onpre-existing cropland, in order to minimize land-use change and its associated greenhouse gas emissions,” as the UWM news release explains.

Now if only anybody were actually enforcing the law, the anti-hero of biofuels would be perp-walked to prison for destroying the very environment it was supposed to help protect.

We last saw the evil genius called corn ethanol in a 2013 piece headlined, “Biofuels Policy Helping Destroy U.S. Grasslands At Fastest Rate Since 1930s, Boosting Threat of Dust-Bowlification.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/07/3654392/corn-ethanol-illegal/

... yet another way corn ethanol is a disaster, with BigAg intimidating, buying politicians into keeping the disaster going indefinitely.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tuning to run Ethanol is simple. The problem is more fuel lines, tank ,gaskets, ect. Systems to bypass or completely over ride factory ECM are all over the place we have been using them on motorcycles for years. The range from simple devices that fool the ECM like XIED's to units that completely replace the ECM. The one I use rewrites the ECM and saves the factory program. It allows you to chose pre written MAP's, to autotune on the go or make changes to any part of the program you want. Simple to use also.

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum you're in a great place to learn much about the Elio, I know your not comparing farm subsidies with flood and hurricane insurance.
Oranges and apples? Farmers who are guaranteed an income even when nothing grows, providing benefits only for them, as compared to insurance which must be purchased by individuals to folks help offset losses. Gee wiz.
Anyway, not to dwell on the politics of gas, I'll wish us both success in getting what we do have very much in common
It's X;III have a good night all

I would say more like turnips and grapes. Where farmers sign up for subsidies that the government offers as assistance and incentives for them to grow and sometimes not grow certain crops. Those programs benefit a lot of people in a lot of industries. Versus people who knowingly build their homes in flood zones with the reassurance that WHEN the storm comes and they lose their home that had the perfect view, they will be able to rebuild because they are subsidized by insurance payers who do not take the same kind of risk.
SandyCWV
Daughter of a still existing small family crop farm and owner of a small grass fed beef farm.

Farm Boy 2

Elio Fan
Reaction score
One mans “Big money special interest lobby group” is another mans “Grass roots organization” helping to protect their rights. Land is like most other commodity’s, it gets used were it can get the best return on the investment. That return may be in growing crops like corn, soybean, wheat, hay or grass forage, or maybe pasture for cattle grazing. The tragic thing that happens to a lot of farm ground is when it gets swallowed up by urban sprawl and highway construction. After that there is almost no chance it will ever be used for anything else. Farm land gets sold every day to developers for build subdivisions or taken over by government with eminent domain for road and highway construction, that to me is the real crime. As for UW Madison they are, shall I say, left of center on most of their views and politics. The number of acres in and out of production varies from year to year depending on weather and commodity prices. This weeks close for corn was $3.56 a bushel, about half what it was at harvest last fall. Farmers are one of the few businesses that buy at retail and sell at wholesale. They do what you can to hedge their bets, because the weather and commodity praises are thing you can’t control. People don’t understand the farm program is as much about trying to keep a stable, plentiful, and reasonably priced food supply as it is to help farmers. The “Farm Bill” also includes food stamps or nutrition programs, whatever the “politically correct” thing to say is these days. Well I know this has strayed FAR from the original subject of the thread, but that’s my 2 cents worth.
P.S. the Renuable Fuel Standerd has not been set or renewed for 2014, yes thats right 2014, not to say anything about 2015 or beond.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One mans “Big money special interest lobby group” is another mans “Grass roots organization” helping to protect their rights. Land is like most other commodity’s, it gets used were it can get the best return on the investment. That return may be in growing crops like corn, soybean, wheat, hay or grass forage, or maybe pasture for cattle grazing. The tragic thing that happens to a lot of farm ground is when it gets swallowed up by urban sprawl and highway construction. After that there is almost no chance it will ever be used for anything else. Farm land gets sold every day to developers for build subdivisions or taken over by government with eminent domain for road and highway construction, that to me is the real crime. As for UW Madison they are, shall I say, left of center on most of their views and politics. The number of acres in and out of production varies from year to year depending on weather and commodity prices. This weeks close for corn was $3.56 a bushel, about half what it was at harvest last fall. Farmers are one of the few businesses that buy at retail and sell at wholesale. They do what you can to hedge their bets, because the weather and commodity praises are thing you can’t control. People don’t understand the farm program is as much about trying to keep a stable, plentiful, and reasonably priced food supply as it is to help farmers. The “Farm Bill” also includes food stamps or nutrition programs, whatever the “politically correct” thing to say is these days. Well I know this has strayed FAR from the original subject of the thread, but that’s my 2 cents worth.
P.S. the Renuable Fuel Standerd has not been set or renewed for 2014, yes thats right 2014, not to say anything about 2015 or beond.

Yes. As usual the politicians set up mutually contradictory standards.
The Renewable Fuel Standard specified a total amount of ethanol that had to be added to the gasoline to be adjusted yearly.
The EPA demanded a certain fuel economy standard in MPG.
The administration demanded better fuel economy from the auto manufacturers.
Then the recession in 2008 hit and gas prices got crazy stupid.
People stopped driving as much so fuel consumption went down to the point that the mandated amount of ethanol would have made the mix more than 15%. (which is bad for cars.)
And the Farm Bill doesn't get passed until the fall but the farmers have to know what to plant in the Spring.
Oh me, Oh my, what is a bureaucrat to do?
Not to mention the farmers and the people who depend on the corn crop for their business.

Top Bottom