• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Next Generation Elio Engine ? (2-stroke Turbo Diesel)

Trucking Cody

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I love diesel...the problem with diesel is all the epa crap they now are required to use. It would make the elio less reliable, more expensive, heavier and fitting a dpf on it might take to much room. If it were pre 2006, the elio should definitely have a diesel

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ALREADY HAVE A TWO STROKE THREE WHEELER , A '59 GOLIATH GOLI TRUCK !
IT IS SCARY SLOW BUT MOVES A GREAT DEAL OF WEIGHT WITH IT's 500cc MOTOR .

AS FOR THE DIESEL , I LOVE MY 5cyl SPRINTER . IT WEIGHS 6000 POUNDS AND STILL
MANAGES TO GET 24mpg . IT IS BIG ENOUGH TO HAUL AN ISETTA INSIDE +5 PEOPLE .

MY SON's VW GOLF DIESEL GETS 55mpg .
THAT IS NEARLY TWICE WHAT THE GAS ENGINE GTI COUNTERPART DOES !

I THINK THE EFFICIENCY OF THE DIESEL IS AMAZING AND I AM SURE
AN ELIO DIESEL COULD TOP 100mpg WITH REASONABLE SPEED & COMFORT .

IF THE GREENIES DON'T LIKE THAT , THEN THEY NEED TO PEDAL FASTER .

Attachments

• DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 378

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
for you guys who like diesels powered or electric vehicles, I'm happy for you .... its been 14 years since I didn't have at least 1 diesel powered vehicle, have had as many as 3 at the same time, have 2 right now .... I just sold an street legal electric car that we'd had for about 4 years .... for me, diesels can't be beaten for towing and electrics are fine for short trips, mostly around town .... for regular use (meaning non or light towing and the ability to take off cross county) I never want another vehicle that isn't powered by gasoline .... given, most diesels get better mileage than the same vehicle powered by gasoline .... higher initial cost, considerable weight, higher cost of standard service, higher cost of most repairs, not being able to readily find mechanics while traveling, and not having additional cost for additives and/or DEF all have a way of mitigating the economic plus of higher mileage .... as stated, more power to folks who like those power plants but for me I wouldn't buy an Elio with an electric motor and would be really hard pressed to buy one with a diesel power plant

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a BMW 330d and we have just inherited my elderly m-i-l's Fiat Panda diesel (1.3 litre). Both great cars with good mpg, especially the Fiat, which can do up to 70 mpg.

I'm going to drive about 800 miles next weekend and will instead take my 15 year old Suzuki Swift, powered by the same 993cc G10A gasoline engine that the Elio prototype uses. I hope to get about 55 to 60 mpg from it, and will be happy enough with that, even though we get a extra pint in our UK gallons. I love the way it burns so cleanly compared to the diesels. I checked the oil yesterday, 5,000 miles after I last changed it. Its colour has hardly got any darker from the day it went in and it will be good for at least another 5,000 miles. In comparison, I also checked the oil of the Panda. That is dirtier even though it has only done a couple of hundred miles since I changed that.

I've just bought a supercharger for an identical Suzuki engine about to go in the Liege in a few weeks time.....that should pep it up a bit!

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A diesel powered Elio would cost 50-100% more . I don't think that fits Paul's agenda . If the company took a left turn and decided to make the Elio a rolling toaster instead of using a 3 cylinder ICE, I would lose all interest in this adventure .

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a BMW 330d and we have just inherited my elderly m-i-l's Fiat Panda diesel (1.3 litre). Both great cars with good mpg, especially the Fiat, which can do up to 70 mpg.

I'm going to drive about 800 miles next weekend and will instead take my 15 year old Suzuki Swift, powered by the same 993cc G10A gasoline engine that the Elio prototype uses. I hope to get about 55 to 60 mpg from it, and will be happy enough with that, even though we get a extra pint in our UK gallons. I love the way it burns so cleanly compared to the diesels. I checked the oil yesterday, 5,000 miles after I last changed it. Its colour has hardly got any darker from the day it went in and it will be good for at least another 5,000 miles. In comparison, I also checked the oil of the Panda. That is dirtier even though it has only done a couple of hundred miles since I changed that.

I've just bought a supercharger for an identical Suzuki engine about to go in the Liege in a few weeks time.....that should pep it up a bit!

The oil color is meaningless. Diesel-rated oils (Cx rating over this side of the little pond) are specifically engineered to hold amazing amounts of soot. I've seen my diesel's oil pitch black after a fresh oil change and starting the engine for 30 seconds. Means nothing.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You missed my point. The fact that the oil turns black quickly in a diesel mean that the combustion process is naturally dirtier than that of gasoline and more soot is formed. Where soot goes after it's formed is either out of the exhaust, collecting on the engine components or into the oil if there is good detergency, as with most modern oils.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You missed my point. The fact that the oil turns black quickly in a diesel mean that the combustion process is naturally dirtier than that of gasoline and more soot is formed. Where soot goes after it's formed is either out of the exhaust, collecting on the engine components or into the oil if there is good detergency, as with most modern oils.

In practical terms it means nothing though. For the most in-depth knowledge of diesel emissions I know of, I reference senior meteorologist who goes by the handle of wxman over on www.forums.tdiclub.com. He has written several easy to understand beginner's articles that covers this waaaaaay better than I've seen anywhere else.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Black means dirt. It's how, along with viscosity, (some of us) determine when the oil needs to be changed.
Soot, and the accompanying black color of the oil is only a small factor. If I changed oil on my tractors based on color, I'd have 10 hour change intervals.

A friend with much more equipment than me, saves almost $10K a year by oil sampling rather than changing oil based solely on miles or hours. With 22,000 hours on an untouched except for regular maintenance motor I don't argue with him.

Top Bottom