• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Regarding the Elgin dash, I actually seem to like the way it looks. Haven't used anything like that before, but I like how it lights up in the youtube video, and also glad to see that they changed the speed increments to 5 miles from the 10 that it was. To me it looks cool, maybe a bit retro. However what I don't like is that it seems like it's lacking features. Seems to not display things I have been use to seeing. Engine temperature? Estimated miles til tank is empty? A mpg gauge to show if you're driving habits are getting the best mileage? A fairly nondescript fuel tank meter. The style of the dash is fine for me, but I can hope it can do more things. However if there are alternate clusters available, I might change out for something with more features. I'm more for what all can it do, more so than I am about what it looks like.

I hadn't noticed the lack of engine temp until you mentioned it. As to the digital fuel gauge, I kind of like it; it's not unlike the digital battery gauge on my Leaf :)

Don't forget that one of the other features of the Elio is that tablet+app support is built into the design of the car, so MPG remaining and other tools displayed on the tablet is entirely workable (if Elio doesn't include that natively in the Skyzmatic app, I have no doubt the community will soon create a feature-rich app on their own).

Lilfurbal

Elio Fan
The app looks nice, though right now it only seems to be for the iPad and iPhone. I don't buy into apple products. I also don't intend to be using their phone/tablet dock, as I don't intend to use that type of radio. So I'll require mounting a phone or tablet in a different location that doesn't block the radio. I probably wouldn't be doing that unless I need GPS. As for what I've seen of the Skyzmatic app, looks really cool.I'd probably prefer to replace the entire cluster panel with that of a LCD screen for running this app lol.

Coss

Staff member
Since the Elgin dash is such a hot topic, I went looking in a different direction.
In the P4 they used the dash from a Geo Metro; did a quick search and found in EBay a BUNCH of Geo Metro Instrument Clusters, ranging in price from $45 to $125
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=geo+metro+cluster

So why not just pick up a used Geo Metro cluster and pop that in; they used it before, who says you can't use it again?

Ian442

Elio Addict
The Geo/Suzuki cluster is perfect for me. Just don't use the turn signal stalk/high beam ... theyre the old wrap around the column type...PITA to replace.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Since the Elgin dash is such a hot topic, I went looking in a different direction.
In the P4 they used the dash from a Geo Metro; did a quick search and found in EBay a BUNCH of Geo Metro Instrument Clusters, ranging in price from $45 to $125
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=geo+metro+cluster

So why not just pick up a used Geo Metro cluster and pop that in; they used it before, who says you can't use it again?

If it all wired up to the existing P5 harness, you might have something there.

Coss

Staff member
If it all wired up to the existing P5 harness, you might have something there.
That's what I'm trying for; can't say that the wiring harness would be the same, but it would be fairly easy to make an adapter once I have one to work with.

(hehe get one showing 200,000 miles and say you put it all on since you picked up your Elio)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's what I'm trying for; can't say that the wiring harness would be the same, but it would be fairly easy to make an adapter once I have one to work with.

(hehe get one showing 200,000 miles and say you put it all on since you picked up your Elio)

there goes the warranty .. :confused:

Coss

Staff member
there goes the warranty .. :confused:
Why? Something like that would not void a warranty; it does not have any effect on the operational parts of the vehicle.
And if you're wondering about mileage that shows, they can pull true mileage through the OBDII

floydv

Elio Addict
Couldn't we also get some of this info (engine temp., etc.) from the OBDII port and displayed using a 3rd party app?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Couldn't we also get some of this info (engine temp., etc.) from the OBDII port and displayed using a 3rd party app?

Elio Amazed provided a bunch of HUD units.
You might also Google "OBD2 connected HUD"
There are a whole bunch of under $70 units that are feature rich.