• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rear view is very good because the back is so narrow. However, while most of us have experience backing up with only side mirrors, the general public does not and will be afraid. To have large sales they will probably need some type of back up camera. Are not back up cameras suppose to be mandatory in automobiles. (Of course elio is no automobile but they will be competing with automobiles.) No back camera will hurt sales.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the backup camera was part of the Skyz system. No Skyz = No camera.
Elio has said all along they would offer a back up camera separate from Skyz. It was even listed on the "options" page of plastic crap -- may still be, I haven't checked.

Official option or not, I'm installing one.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Kuda! Options are always good....I think it'll be a "as needed" thing once I get mine. Really though, if you're driving down the highway/road, unless the person is on a bicycle and hanging on to the trunk lid, I think you'll see them. Backing up? Look out either side window.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rear view is very good because the back is so narrow. However, while most of us have experience backing up with only side mirrors, the general public does not and will be afraid. To have large sales they will probably need some type of back up camera. Are not back up cameras suppose to be mandatory in automobiles. (Of course elio is no automobile but they will be competing with automobiles.) No back camera will hurt sales.
I agree, no camera will affect sales. There's also the Federal requirement that all cars have backup cameras in the next year or two. Elio is trying to market itself as a car -- so they need a camera to appear more car-like, even if they're not legally required to. They might get by just offering it as an option, but they CAN'T link a b.u. camera to "Skyzmatic or no camera."

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elio has said all along they would offer a back up camera separate from Skyz. It was even listed on the "options" page of plastic crap -- may still be, I haven't checked.

Official option or not, I'm installing one.

they still list an independent backup camera on their options page which can be seen when you scroll down at this link ,,,, depending on cost and additional info, I'm prone to choose to go with the factory backed option

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.... There's also the Federal requirement that all cars have backup cameras in the next year or two.
As a reoccurring issue, this kind of thing frustrates the purist in me. There is always the common desire for more, where as to efficiently accomplish anything, you need to have less, or rather nothing more than the minimal.
So in classic automobile engineering this is called, "Minimal Motoring - the least car to do the job", a conflicting concept being the land-yacht.

Really? will a required back-up camera do that much good in the world? The net effect of that will be to relieve designers of the need to provide good visibility. So for the extra money and complication we end up at status quo, or worse, when the camera breaks down, worse than before. One of the many things that makes you car useable after only the first two years. I'm just say'in.

I love the idea of an optional camera. I loth the idea of a required camera. In the case of the Elio I think it has good enough visibility, but I love the idea of optional back window plus optional camera(s).

Elio - options (love it: win-win) -and admittedly I want one if the price is right.
Gov - requirements (hate it: fail)

Last edited:
Top Bottom