• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've got a '98 Mazda B2500 pickup, 4 cylinder and 71,000 miles and have had almost no problems. After I bought it (new) I read everything I could find about towing a trailer. The word was "don't", it's not suitable, can't handle it, etc. Being a contrary SOB I did it anyway. Screwed a ball in the hole in the bumper and hooked up my boat trailer with my 17' trimaran, and was off. I don't know how much the rig weighed but I would guess about 700 lbs. I've hauled it probably a couple of thousand miles, including up and down the Texas hill country. No problem. The point is, you can't believe what the manufacturers tell you, they're out to cover their own..... Now, I don't think an Elio could have pulled that boat, but I bet it could pull a couple of hundred lbs. The problem I see is how to put a trailer hitch on it.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does any wizard in here know the heaviest (gross wt) vehicle in which the Elio transmission has been installed? Seems like a decent indication of transmission capacity.

Okay...Given the Elio is nearly 1/3 the weight of the Yaris, the Elio transaxle won't even break a sweat hauling you, a passenger, and whatever you can stuff in it. A trailer is sounding very feasible after my warranty expires. :D

Top Bottom