• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I enjoy debating tort reform as much as the next guy, and I do think there's significant potential for reforming the system. But that's somewhat an academic exercise when it comes to the backup camera in the Elio:

1) Elio markets its vehicle effectively as a "car," touts car-like safety features and test results, etc.;
2) There's a federal law requiring backup cameras for most new cars by 2018;
3) "Automakers haven't been previously required to include these systems but NHTSA did recommend it, saying it can save many deaths and injuries from backover crashes. There are nearly 210 backover deaths each year, the agency said. About a third of those deaths are children, and many are caused by parents, it said. Rear facing cameras, including those that automakers already offer, would save between 59 and 69 deaths a year, NHTSA said." http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/autos/rear-facing-cameras/
4) Someone buys an Elio in 2018 and backs up into a child, killing her;
5) In a personal injury/defective product lawsuit, Elio will have a hard time overcoming the reasonable standard of care: it was required for all new cars and Elio didn't install it (per se negligence), or at least it was recommended by NHTSA, and Elio should have known it would be good to install it given its limited rear visibility design, particularly if the cost was not overly burdensome.

I don't know about you folks, but those are not the sort of facts I would want to be facing in a lawsuit against me as a manufacturer.

I'm sorry. This hypothetical child you're speaking of, where's the parents? A 'responsible' adult knows where their child is at all times (I did, had to save mine from more than one bad decision on their part...both are alive and well today). If a child gets ran over while someone's backing up (between 59 and 69 times per year as you stated), an "adult" responsible for that child failed in their duty...and if you have a child, it is you duty to protect them.

Apologies: Back to the topic, "What would you change": In this case, charge the irresponsible parent. Not the driver (if sober) of the vehicle.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Kuda! Options are always good....I think it'll be a "as needed" thing once I get mine. Really though, if you're driving down the highway/road, unless the person is on a bicycle and hanging on to the trunk lid, I think you'll see them. Backing up? Look out either side window.
Very true, but gadgets can be fun...except don't get me started on
autonomous cars.... ins co's think
we're all to stupid &/or/feeble/or/
drunk to drive ourselves....probably
some truth to that though..........

Last edited:

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Figure out a way to spice up the bland dash. That's a hard point to complain about in this car though. But as a nitpick, I wish the whole drivers compartment was less boring.

gd761

Elio Fan
Reaction score
1. Dual Beam Headlights for Separate High Beam and Low Beam.
2. Sykzmatic App for iPad, Android, and Windows. For Our own Current and Future Tablets.
3. Fog Lights as an Option.
4. Fully Reclining Driver Seat for the Commuters that Want or Need to take a Nap in the Vehicle.
5. Standard Rear View Mirror to see Directly Behind the Vehicle. You Need to See how Fast the Vehicle behind You is approaching to determine how Fast or Slow and the Distance You Need to Stop behind the Vehicle in front of You.
6. Side Marker/Turn Signal Lights on the Rear side of the Wheel Pods.
7. Option for HID Headlights.
8. Standard Automatic Lights/Daytime Running Lights.
9. Ability to Turn Off Traction Control when NEEDED. Example is when going over Steep Hills or Mountains and Slow Vehicles ahead of You start Slipping and Sliding because of either Too Slow Speed or Bad Tires and You Need to Get Around and Past them. The Only Way is to Shut Off Traction Control to Get Past them, then You can Turn Traction Control back on.

Reactions: Ekh

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Dual Beam Headlights for Separate High Beam and Low Beam.
2. Sykzmatic App for iPad, Android, and Windows. For Our own Current and Future Tablets.
3. Fog Lights as an Option.
4. Fully Reclining Driver Seat for the Commuters that Want or Need to take a Nap in the Vehicle.
5. Standard Rear View Mirror to see Directly Behind the Vehicle. You Need to See how Fast the Vehicle behind You is approaching to determine how Fast or Slow and the Distance You Need to Stop behind the Vehicle in front of You.
6. Side Marker/Turn Signal Lights on the Rear side of the Wheel Pods.
7. Option for HID Headlights.
8. Standard Automatic Lights/Daytime Running Lights.
9. Ability to Turn Off Traction Control when NEEDED. Example is when going over Steep Hills or Mountains and Slow Vehicles ahead of You start Slipping and Sliding because of either Too Slow Speed or Bad Tires and You Need to Get Around and Past them. The Only Way is to Shut Off Traction Control to Get Past them, then You can Turn Traction Control back on.

1, Yup
2, Skyzmatic sounds like another expense with problems lurking
3, Sure
4, NICE!
5, Useless, you are sitting in the middle. And by the way, there is no back window!
6, Yup
7, OK
8, I believe this is standard. I asked EM awhile back and they said yes.
9, OK

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

How? If the mirror was in the center of the windshield like other cars then all you would see is a reflection of your forehead. Unless you are really short, in which case you would see the back seat headrest. And if you folded the back seat down, you would see the inside of the rear hatch.

If you need to see behind you like that, maybe get an extra mirror installed on the starboard exterior, roughly in the location of a standard rear view mirror. But really, I think as soon as you sit in one you'll see how unnecessary it is. Below is the P3, but these angles will be true for the production car as well.
blind-spot-question-jpg.80.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How? If the mirror was in the center of the windshield like other cars then all you would see is a reflection of your forehead. Unless you are really short, in which case you would see the back seat headrest. And if you folded the back seat down, you would see the inside of the rear hatch.

If you need to see behind you like that, maybe get an extra mirror installed on the starboard exterior, roughly in the location of a standard rear view mirror. But really, I think as soon as you sit in one you'll see how unnecessary it is. Below is the P3, but these angles will be true for the production car as well.
It's a good point. Nothing like a good drawing to show what to expect. It will take some getting used to for all of us. I'm still getting a camera or window. At the moment leaning toward a camera, I'ld like to do both. But to tell the truth, 115f summer temps in Arizona give me pause as well on that window.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I remember seeing some silly old movie about a car race. At the start of the race a driver from Italy tossed the rear view mirror out the window and says "The first rule of Italian driving, what is behind you is unimportant." I been to Italy and believe it....

Top Bottom