• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Running the exhaust pipe on the right side as shown in the P5 produces a bulge along the bottom. I prefer the clean lines of the P4. Perhaps this could be achieved by placing the exhaust pipe on top of the metal floor beams (running from side to side) up against the right side of the vehicle. You might think this would place it inside the cabin but it would not. The composite floor pan would be molded such that it goes up and over the exhaust pipe and seals against the side. This makes it outside the cabin. The composite belly pan could be molded with holes below the exhaust pipe for air circulation. Replacement would simply be pulling it out the rear and reinserting a new pipe. (easy replacement) Insulation can be added if desired. The exhaust pipe would enter the rear wheel well and be directed out the side or straight back as in autos. This would use space below the shifter, e-brake and rear seat enabling the clean lines of the P4 to be retained. (The P4 is beautiful)

Of course, this is not knowing how the frame and panels are laid out.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that would be a great question for any of our members who attend the tour on Aug 15th in Royal Oak, MI at the Woodward Dream Cruise, in front of Village Automotive on 31200 Woodward Ave or Aug 28th - 30th at Sonoma Raceway - GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
Now that is a good post, JEBar. You included the date, location, and even the address. Very complete.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just as a refresher, here's the rendering that more or less started this thread.

[Broken External Image]

I think you're right -- you need something off-center or angled to be able to make the wheels steer. Just pulling or pushing on their centers definitely won't do it! I'd also worry about the amount of suspension travel being as small as the hole in the cover plate suggests. So something is "hidden" from our angle of view, or simply missing from the drawing. Maybe one of our moderators can ask Elio for an update on steering / front suspension revisions.

We could ask directly via Facebook, but I'm not a member there (and will never be), so someone else will have to do it.
I would assume the openings would have a rubber grommet like dust cover, but I guess we will have to wait to find out.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been having trouble visualizing how the front suspension and steering can work with the hidden suspension and just the axle protruding through a hole. I realized, I really had no idea how front-end drive generally works. So for those of us who might need some help with this issue, I found this little animation showing how the various parts go together. It's not a double wishbone suspension (that I do understand), but it may help others who don't breathe this stuff in like oxygen with every breath.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
It was 117 here last wednesday. Pretty routine for early August.

It was 117 in Phoenix the day I got married, late July of 1989. It was about 92 in the church, and although relatively speaking it felt cool, the sweat was pouring off my forehead fer sher.

Then in 1990, in June it got to 122, they shut down Sky Harbor airport, I believe partly because concerns of the reduced lift on the wings. I think that record has been broken, 122 degrees.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was 117 in Phoenix the day I got married, late July of 1989. It was about 92 in the church, and although relatively speaking it felt cool, the sweat was pouring off my forehead fer sher.

Then in 1990, in June it got to 122, they shut down Sky Harbor airport, I believe partly because concerns of the reduced lift on the wings. I think that record has been broken, 122 degrees.
A few years ago we did have a 127degree day as I remember. But it may have been that same day, 'cept maybe someone measured it at 'tarmac' level.
Don't know where that was measured. Just glad I had working AC that day.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
If the flare around the suspension opening is still there like it was on the P4, it will be OK because it can simply be removed and it will look like the P4. However the CAD drawing looks like the flare is gone. Sometimes CAD drawings do not show things like this well. I hope this is the case.

The drawing shows the suspension a-arms simply passing through a hole. This would make assembly extremely difficult. Something must be missing.

Yes, agreed, I've made a post (I forget where now) showing an up-close of the P4 and the suspension / rods. Not sure how you can cover all of it.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the flare around the suspension opening is still there like it was on the P4, it will be OK because it can simply be removed and it will look like the P4. However the CAD drawing looks like the flare is gone. Sometimes CAD drawings do not show things like this well. I hope this is the case.
The drawing shows the suspension a-arms simply passing through a hole. This would make assembly extremely difficult. Something must be missing.
I think it may not show there is a removable panel.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ekh --- Actually each side would need 7 holes for steering and suspension members to pass through the body work. Each of those holes would need to be elongated to allow for movement. Small rubber boots or sliding fairleads could make an effective seal. It would be a real PITA to work on but at least steering and suspension components normally don't need frequent maintenance. Though I do hope the ball joints and tierods have grease fittings. Most modern vehicle bearings are "lifetime" lubricated which of course means they're good until they wear out. Planned obsolescence.

Top Bottom