• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I don't understand. This is pretty basic, but I don't get it ... if you mount the enginecorsswise, how do you get power from one end, then route to a transaxle and out two shafts that must run under the engine? I'm having trouble visualizing how this works.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I don't understand. This is pretty basic, but I don't get it ... if you mount the enginecorsswise, how do you get power from one end, then route to a transaxle and out two shafts that must run under the engine? I'm having trouble visualizing how this works.

A transaxle performs both the gear-changing function of a transmission and the power-splitting ability of an axle differential in one integrated unit, using planitary gears and hydraulics. Think "gears in a watch", when considering the transmission to differential configuration.

The axles exit the "differential" part of the transmission, out to the front drive wheels.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric compressors are more expensive. EM is already trying to squeeze their targeted $6800. Also electric compressors require a beefy alternator, which, the one in the pic is a 100 amp at best. That may run an electric compressor, but the load on it would severely deteriorate it's lifetime.
You have to also consider, if you need the extra power for an electric AC, then you need a beefier Alternator/Regulator/Battery too. The sum of the four prices would need to be considered together.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps after our "roasting" them over the engine "First Start" not happening, they don't want to show too much for fear of how we will respond or all the emails we will send to them.

Or, perhaps because they are doing the debut and unveiling at the LA auto show in mid November they are holding back for dramatic effect?
After all, if you show everything in staged pictures, the unveiling to the press would be somewhat anti climactic.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't see the AC compressor. Not installed yet, or are they leaving it out of the P5?

If you look at a good picture of the engine you will see on the left of the picture, top to bottom, the alternator, water pump, and below that the A/C compressor. Looking at the installed engine picture, you can see a part of the alternator. Best practices would say that you wouldn't install the alternator if you had to rip it out again to put in the compressor and water pump.

AJ Maxey

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you look at a good picture of the engine you will see on the left of the picture, top to bottom, the alternator, water pump, and below that the A/C compressor. Looking at the installed engine picture, you can see a part of the alternator. Best practices would say that you wouldn't install the alternator if you had to rip it out again to put in the compressor and water pump.
I can just barely see the back of the water pump too, but yea, no AC compressor is visible in these picture angles.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score

THE BEAUTY OF THIS LAYOUT IS THAT ALL THE SHAFTS RUN PARALLEL .

THE CRANKSHAFT IN THE ENGINE ,
MAIN AND LAY SHAFTS IN THE TRANSMISSION
AND THE AXIS OF THE DIFFERENTIAL .

THEY ARE PLACED VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER & INTERFACE THROUGH GEAR CONTACT .
THIS SAVES A LOT OF SPACE AND SIMPLIFIES THE LAYOUT .

THE AXLES ATTACH TO EITHER SIDE OF THE DIFFERENTIAL ON THE BACK OF THE ASSEMBLY .
IF THEY ARE FOLLOWING CONVENTIONAL PRACTICE , YOU CAN "POP" THEM RIGHT OUT
WHEN THE TIME COMES TO WORK ON THEM , SPLIT BOOTS AND SUCH .

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Usually, it won't be until they're ready to install the rest of the A/C system all at once(condenser, evaporator, drier, orifice tube or expansion valve, and hoses). It avoids contamination.

Now I see they already have a serpentine belt installed. These pictures are horrible angles which don't give us a view of the front bottom side of the engine (where the a/c compressor is tucked under, see pic below). For all we know, it could be on there.

ENGINE_PIC_2_WEB-620x350.jpg

The pulley with the "triangle" in the center appears to be the A/C compressor.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps after our "roasting" them over the engine "First Start" not happening, they don't want to show too much for fear of how we will respond or all the emails we will send to them.

I agree! They need to "feed" us a little bit at a time. History has shown (EM) that we don't stay satisfied for very long. wait a few weeks and feed us a few more pics. I have been wondering..."if" the November unveiling will be first time that we all get to see the whole thing?

Top Bottom