• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on what the P5 will be:
FWIW. the "real deal", in this case would mean:
It will be subject to instrumented testing for horsepower, torque, acceleration, top speed, braking and cornering. And those results would be published. Some testing likely (basic mileage, handling and performance). Results may be relayed in marketing materials, if the targets are met.
It will have fully functioning ABS, traction control, heating, aircondition, and stereo. Likely
The windshield wiper and washer will work. The side windows will roll up and down, and the door lock will work. The trunk lid will latch. Some of these will likely be there, but I have no idea which ones.
All the lights and signals will work properly. Near certain
The rear view mirrors will be spec'd to production size and location. Near certain
The steering geometry and feel will be representative of the production vehicle. Near certain
The interior ergonomics and sound level will be representative of the production vehicle. Interior quite close (materials may be different), but sound levels will likely be off due fiberglass panels and non-production exhaust tuning.
The steering wheel, pedals and shifters will be in production locations and trim. Very likely
All the instrumentation will be in factory format and will function correctly. Very likely (Elgin dash will function as expected, whether that's "correct" is another matter)
The seats will be production spec, size and material. Very likely
The ODBII system will be fully functional. Very unlikely. Probably a custom programmable prototype ECU.
The suspension geometry and dampers will approximate production intent, subject to further testing. Very likely
It has already been intimated/declared that the body panels will be fiberglass rather than SMC, or I would include SMC body panels in the list.

The "real deal" would be the vehicle that would stop the naysayers from saying that Elio has never built a vehicle that meets the advertising targets.

I hope that helps you understand what I mean by "the real deal".
So, mostly "real deal" and very complete for a prototype.

ETA: That's great news on MTX providing the sound systems. They are definitely one of the best at packaging for confined spaces and generally have good quality components.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see how the various component figure into the OEM -- optional equipmane pricing

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW. the "real deal", in this case would mean:
It will be subject to instrumented testing for horsepower, torque, acceleration, top speed, braking and cornering. And those results would be published.
It will have fully functioning ABS, traction control, heating, aircondition, and stereo.
The windshield wiper and washer will work. The side windows will roll up and down, and the door lock will work. The trunk lid will latch.
All the lights and signals will work properly.
The rear view mirrors will be spec'd to production size and location.
The steering geometry and feel will be representative of the production vehicle.
The interior ergonomics and sound level will be representative of the production vehicle.
The steering wheel, pedals and shifters will be in production locations and trim.
All the instrumentation will be in factory format and will function correctly.
The seats will be production spec, size and material.
The ODBII system will be fully functional.
The suspension geometry and dampers will approximate production intent, subject to further testing.
It has already been intimated/declared that the body panels will be fiberglass rather than SMC, or I would include SMC body panels in the list.

The "real deal" would be the vehicle that would stop the naysayers from saying that Elio has never built a vehicle that meets the advertising targets.

I hope that helps you understand what I mean by "the real deal".

It will be subject to instrumented testing for horsepower, torque, acceleration, top speed, braking and cornering. And those results would be published.
I wonder if they will put it on a chassis dyno before it leaves IAV. That would answer a lot of our questions.
It will have fully functioning ABS, traction control, heating, aircondition, and stereo.
They just changed the audio system supplier.
The windshield wiper and washer will work. The side windows will roll up and down, and the door lock will work. The trunk lid will latch.
All the lights and signals will work properly.
Hope so. Be interesting to see how that washer bottle thing will work.
The rear view mirrors will be spec'd to production size and location.
That effects drag, so very important.
The steering geometry and feel will be representative of the production vehicle.
May be a question with the new tire supplier.
The interior ergonomics and sound level will be representative of the production vehicle.
Sound level may be problematical.
The steering wheel, pedals and shifters will be in production locations and trim.
All the instrumentation will be in factory format and will function correctly.
The seats will be production spec, size and material.
I would hope so.
The ODBII system will be fully functional.
I think I remember them saying it will be standard buss, but may not have all features.
The suspension geometry and dampers will approximate production intent, subject to further testing.
May still have adjustable shocks, like P4
Paint may not be the exact color of final production.
As far as the naysayers, not sure they can be stopped, short of parking a new Elio on top of them. Might be fun ;)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That may be true.

I left off the "real deal" for the engine and transmission:
The engine will have VVT and flame-spray, if those are still planned for production.
The transmission will be a production-spec unit.

Hopefully RickB is correct, and the P5 will have most of the list items. If not, then the E's six months later. Or the S1's, at least. Hopefully we don't have to wait until #126 like WilliamH thinks. It really would be nice to be able to point to a vehicle that proves that Elio can meet its targets. It's hard to have to keep saying "the next one will be the one".
The P5 is being built to work out how things will fit in the E series. It will be a hand built (non production), and yes, filled with what you'd expect to have in the production model. The E series builds are specifically to verify simulations, some will be complete, some won't, that's pretty typical in the industry.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 is being built to work out how things will fit in the E series. It will be a hand built (non production), and yes, filled with what you'd expect to have in the production model. The E series builds are specifically to verify simulations, some will be complete, some won't, that's pretty typical in the industry.
Yes, the P5 pretty much should be the base Elio. The countdown continues.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know Deborah McAteer is planning to attend the LA Auto show and get plenty of quality P5 photos.
I look forward to Deborah posting them. I predict the P5 will be the buzz, create a stir, and steal the LA Auto Show (Best in Show). The auto journalists should provide for some good reading and EM PR in the Auto Trade Magazines following that event.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that the EM Tour Team should consider displaying the P5 at a couple of National Motorcycle Shows and also the largest motorcycle rally in the country the Sturgis Bike Rally in 2016. Boomer motorcycle enthusiasts are a big target market for the Elio autoCYCLE. They shouldn't be marketing just to the AUTOcycle enthusiasts.

Top Bottom