• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Still much better than the cigarette Tucker had in almost every frame of the movie "Tucker the man and his dream" He died of lung cancer.

Hey, back in the day, doctors actually encouraged people to smoke. It was a society thing back then. Couldn't find a movie scene made in the 40's without someone smoking.

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious, I hear all the time that the ELio will have 55 hp, yet when I see the information board near the engine at the LA show it clearly says the engine is putting out 60hp. Which is correct?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious, I hear all the time that the ELio will have 55 hp, yet when I see the information board near the engine at the LA show it clearly says the engine is putting out 60hp. Which is correct?

Good question. We discussed it at length some time ago and never came up with a satisfactory answer.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it was 55 per the "engineers" but with a little tweaking in the dyno room they came up with 60. 60 Hp from a 1L engine sounds about right.
My G1 is rated at 67Hp without the IMA, at a lower compression ratio of 10.8

Willie

I seem to remember PE saying (probably over a year ago) that, If they could "easily achieve/surpass the 84mpg goal", they might improve the power some. My feeling is, they currently have it "tuned" to 60hp but it is not set in stone, as they haven't yet done mileage testing.
There are still only 4 tenants that are not (very) flexible...1) target price 2) safety 3) MPG's and 4) high % American content. Everything else must be flexible in order to meet those goals.

Last edited:

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know all the mpg numbers are "computer generated". REAL TESTING will show the results.
There HP number is good for power and reliability.
Don't forget it is a 2 valve per cyl. engine.

HTH
Willie

Top Bottom