• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"And where is the hole for the exhaust to exit?"
Photo courtesy of TStriker

I know it's not what I expected. I was anticipating a larger, chromed exhaust exit.
View attachment 7582
If EM considers the idea of a hinged top access lid on top of that bulge it could become heated storage space. It currently looks like an engineering after thought. How will the red hot exhaust impact the Red Hot Paint?

I was expecting a chromed exhaust port too, but perhaps another opportunity for an option.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"And where is the hole for the exhaust to exit?"
Photo courtesy of TStriker

I know it's not what I expected. I was anticipating a larger, chromed exhaust exit.
View attachment 7582

Just more potential for another aftermarket option. I could see adding an oval exhaust tip that either slides between the exhaust and the panel or inside the exhaust itself without having to do any modifications to the bodywork. If you wanted to cut a bit you could create a very nice looking baloney slice exit port yourself.

AJ Maxey

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So here are my thoughts on the P5:

1.) I like the new prototype, but there are definitely minor refinements to be done which I'm sure will become more apparent on the E-series. Minor things such as nuts, bolts, clamps, fasteners will probably look like they belong to the Elio in the production models. I noticed everything seems awkward right now.

2.)Where the heck is the battery? I understand by law they have to remove it while at the SEMA show, but I'm trying to get an idea of where it would go. I don't even see a battery tray in any of the high resolution engine bay images I've looked at.

3.)The area right behind the exhaust is going to become black and sooty after some use. I would recommend constantly washing and waxing that area. I honestly wish it had pointed down to the ground.

4.)Fuel door indicator on the Elgin cluster still has not been fixed. Another minor detail which I assume will be fixed in production models.

5.) Cruise control: I wouldn't get hyped up that it will be standard equipment just because it is visible on the steering wheel. It was there on the P4 too. As I understand this is a stock steering wheel off of a camaro? Cruise is standard equipment on those, Elio just left the buttons there.

6.)The coolant, brake fluid, and clutch fluid reservoirs are obvious. Many questions pop up about where the windshield washer fluid is. I don't think this system is in the P5 since it's just a prototype. Another minor detail to be added later. What I recall is that EM cut costs by allowing you to directly screw in a bottle you purchase at a store. I'm not sure how well that would work given that all brands have different cap sizes and thread pitches. I, personally, will look into making my own reservoir by utilizing one from another car and building custom brackets. There seems to be plenty of room to work with in the engine bay.

7.) Airbox? Didn't see it. In some pics, it looks like they just attached a universal cone filter on the intake near the firewall. perhaps this system will also be further refined in the E-series.

8.) I appreciate the higher ground clearance.

9.)Tires: I'm all for the 135/80/15 tires on the front. I think they will help with fuel savings and last a long time given the Elio's light weight (see my math a few pages back). However, this tire isn't currently available on the market except for donut spares which are 55mph tires which obviously won't work. I hope availability of these tires will increase with the production of the Elio.

10.)Audio system: Doesn't look like there is any audio in the P5. When I had emailed EM, they said a pair of speakers would be in the dash. I see where they would sit, but it looks like ABS plastic blanks, not speaker grills. I'm not excited about MTX being the audio supplier company. Ew. That will be the first thing I rip out when/if I get mine.

Reply for anymore input or perhaps answers to some of my questions. I'm just brainstorming. #14552

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So here are my thoughts on the P5:

1.) I like the new prototype, but there are definitely minor refinements to be done which I'm sure will become more apparent on the E-series. Minor things such as nuts, bolts, clamps, fasteners will probably look like they belong to the Elio in the production models. I noticed everything seems awkward right now.

2.)Where the heck is the battery? I understand by law they have to remove it while at the SEMA show, but I'm trying to get an idea of where it would go. I don't even see a battery tray in any of the high resolution engine bay images I've looked at.

3.)The area right behind the exhaust is going to become black and sooty after some use. I would recommend constantly washing and waxing that area. I honestly wish it had pointed down to the ground.

4.)Fuel door indicator on the Elgin cluster still has not been fixed. Another minor detail which I assume will be fixed in production models.

5.) Cruise control: I wouldn't get hyped up that it will be standard equipment just because it is visible on the steering wheel. It was there on the P4 too. As I understand this is a stock steering wheel off of a camaro? Cruise is standard equipment on those, Elio just left the buttons there.

6.)The coolant, brake fluid, and clutch fluid reservoirs are obvious. Many questions pop up about where the windshield washer fluid is. I don't think this system is in the P5 since it's just a prototype. Another minor detail to be added later. What I recall is that EM cut costs by allowing you to directly screw in a bottle you purchase at a store. I'm not sure how well that would work given that all brands have different cap sizes and thread pitches. I, personally, will look into making my own reservoir by utilizing one from another car and building custom brackets. There seems to be plenty of room to work with in the engine bay.

7.) Airbox? Didn't see it. In some pics, it looks like they just attached a universal cone filter on the intake near the firewall. perhaps this system will also be further refined in the E-series.

8.) I appreciate the higher ground clearance.

9.)Tires: I'm all for the 135/80/15 tires on the front. I think they will help with fuel savings and last a long time given the Elio's light weight (see my math a few pages back). However, this tire isn't currently available on the market except for donut spares which are 55mph tires which obviously won't work. I hope availability of these tires will increase with the production of the Elio.

10.)Audio system: Doesn't look like there is any audio in the P5. When I had emailed EM, they said a pair of speakers would be in the dash. I see where they would sit, but it looks like ABS plastic blanks, not speaker grills. I'm not excited about MTX being the audio supplier company. Ew. That will be the first thing I rip out when/if I get mine.

Reply for anymore input or perhaps answers to some of my questions. I'm just brainstorming. #14552

I think what you are identifying as speaker blanks are AC vents (in #10). They look exactly like the ones in my 2011 F150. They are in the closed position.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In response to #3. No vehicles today have a sooty exhaust. If it is, something is wrong.

Willie

Can't remember where, but saw a good picture of the "exhaust tip".
Looked like back and out at about 30 degrees.
So even if you're rolling coal it isn't going to stain the side.

Edit: Here's the image 5:02Pm
DSC09402.JPG

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just a random thought .... in post after post we see recommendations for options that could be installed at the Marshaling Centers .... while true, I don't hold high hope for tons of such options in the early days .... given the fact that the centers will have to jump from no activity to maximum output rather quickly and will have to turn out modified trikes as rapidly as they roll in the door, I just don't see how they can have an extensive list of options .... over time, I can see an increase but much will be determined by just how efficiently they can make the changes and still get them quickly out the door
I originally thought the marshaling centers were going to be the last part of the manufacturing process. For instance, I thought no seats would be installed at Shreveport and all seats would be installed at the marshaling centers. This may be the most efficient because it takes time to remove something already installed and ship it back to Shreveport while it could become damaged in the process. I thought it would be like this for all options. But I am sure the time and motion "experts" have analyzed it to death.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I originally thought the marshaling centers were going to be the last part of the manufacturing process. For instance, I thought no seats would be installed at Shreveport and all seats would be installed at the marshaling centers. This may be the most efficient because it takes time to remove something already installed and ship it back to Shreveport while it could become damaged in the process. I thought it would be like this for all options. But I am sure the time and motion "experts" have analyzed it to death.
For sure the automatics will arrive at the centers installed, thus, each center must have the 14 basic models (and heaps of 'em) on hand at all times-7 colors 7 units w/ auto, 7 units with standard=14.
Not sure it would be practical to ship and install the seat at the centers.
Question- are ALL the seats the same color, I do recall that interior colors of the panels will be an option.
Are they, do you think, offer a factory option for the fenders?

Top Bottom