• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Strangest Concept Car Ideas That Failed

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BEING PARTIAL TO GOLIATH THREE WHEELERS ,
HERE WAS THEIR CONCEPT OF A SUPER AERODYNAMIC TRIKE BACK IN THE EARLY 50's
THEY ONLY BUILT ONE .

8049968996_4e5876e4bc_b.jpg

[Broken External Image]

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that with truly bizarre concept cars, they might not have ever intend them to be produced. I think some concepts are just the designers having a lot of fun. I am not sure I would call them failures but ones that the designers imagination was allowed to do whatever it felt like.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is the Chrysler Gas Turbine Car documentary:

And here is it running:

I always liked the idea. I always wondered why they threw away so many years of development very wasteful. I always felt they should have produced some even at a loss. I remember reading about combing a gas turbine and an electric car ala chevy volt.

Dont forget the Howmet TX Can-Am race car
Howmet_TX_at_Silverstone_Classic_Endurance_Car_Racing_in_September_2009.jpg

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always liked the idea. I always wondered why they threw away so many years of development very wasteful. I always felt they should have produced some even at a loss. I remember reading about combing a gas turbine and an electric car ala chevy volt.
They said the Chrysler was a direct drive to the transmission. So the turbine had to spool up in order for it to accelerate. This made the acceleration slow. The part count is a lot less than the standard engine. It was the cost of the turbine also that was prohibitive. Back then the turbine was still fairly new.

Here is something cool that I thought you may like

Williams International WASP

Top Bottom