• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Zoleco

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This could be a path Elio could go after the E-car gets off an running . Seem like a possible offering Elio Motors would look at to me , and in ways resembles the E- car somewhat . I do notice four tires on it though. This could be a family Elio and with a three cylinder turbo version ,it could get the same mpg and performance ,if not better.

I like the steering linkage protection vs. the Elio's outriggers. It looks like vaporware in general, though. Don't forget the Aptera.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it is cool. There seems to be a lot of cool cars that never seem to get made. Perhaps the deal with China will get the Aptera made(?). It is a neat design. I think this one is too. I am hoping the Elio is the exemption to the rule and it gets made. It helps that it is affordable, IMO.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it is cool. There seems to be a lot of cool cars that never seem to get made. Perhaps the deal with China will get the Aptera made(?). It is a neat design. I think this one is too. I am hoping the Elio is the exemption to the rule and it gets made. It helps that it is affordable, IMO.
Elio is the exception because it is a cool vehicle that appeals to a wide range of demographics, and seems like it will have decent performance and handling.......road testing will verify.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio pricing structure and quality of design are very much outside the range of past failures. From the get-go, Elio Motors was primarily a market-plan savvy concept. Producing the right reasons to buy.
But the other failures are also related to the business mis-management and funding disarray.
Up to now Elio is savvy there too, but this next 60-90days will be critical and we'll get a better scope on the status in this period.

I think the Tesla was a more risky adventure, but they are now past that critical start-up choke point. Continued growth is now their ongoing challenge.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.............. I think the Tesla was a more risky adventure, but they are now past that critical start-up choke point. Continued growth is now their ongoing challenge.
Elio should be able to experience a much faster more dynamic growth because of its costs mpg, uniqueness, and utilitarian purpose. Once production and distribution begins I believe the demand will be substantial.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio should be able to experience a much faster more dynamic growth because of its costs mpg, uniqueness, and utilitarian purpose. Once production and distribution begins I believe the demand will be substantial.

I agree and the amazing thing to me is just how much time, effort, and money it will have taken EM to get to that point. If they actually do make it into production by the end of 2015 it will have been a 7+ year project which cost between $250-$300 million by that point. Plus there have been plenty of ups, downs, changes , and challenges along the way.

Paraphrasing something I have heard Paul Elio say numerous times now; this is not an easy thing to do!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zoleco. From the photo gallery, it does seem to be a three wheel car.
Zoleco-5.jpg

From this view, the back wheels are close together like the Isetta. Diseno-Art.
Would the vehicle shown (what ever it is) be considered and 3 wheeled motorcycle or a 4 wheeled auto? The two wheels are close together but they are 4 separate wheels. You would have to buy 4 tires not 3.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a very informative article on three wheeled vehicles ,different configurations, and why Elio's design is like it is. There is a link to the Trihawk ,reviewed in 1982 ,which I think is probably close to what we will get with an Elio . Note the 1982 price.
http://www.rqriley.com/3-wheel.htm
One thing Riley didn't say in this article, because it gets a little too detailed.. When you look at a graph of oversteer vs g force, for the various platforms, when designed right, some are fairly predictable. Some swap over from understeering to oversteering. The higher the center of gravity (or when misplaced) the nastier and more abrupt the effect.
The delta 1F2R trike has up to 3 swap-overs in one study. And for much of that there is no road-feel warning. While the tadpole 2F1R(with Front Wheel Drive), only simply gets more understeering. This makes the 1F2R very challenging in dynamically excessive situations, while the 2F1R remains predictably sedate.
So a 1F2R would be interesting to a very skilled driver while racing and should be driven attentively on the street, while a 2F1R can be safely used pretty much anywhere. Unless we are talking about poorly designed cars, where you get what you get. Keep in mind, by my own definition, rear wheel drive on a tadpole is bad design at today's standards.
Bad designs (just my rule of thumb):
Rear steering on any layout(if used over 20mph).
Anytime the CG is too high or too far from even loading of all tires.
Anytime static loading at any corner of the vehicle exceeds 40%.
Anytime static loading at any end of the vehicle exceeds 75%(trike) 60%(4wheeler).
Anytime breaking is too misplaced from the tire/ground loading while stopping.
Anytime less than 55% of the static tire loading is power driven.(50% static weight, 55%gross weight)
Anytime the tire contact area is loaded either too high or too low per manufacturers spec.

Top Bottom