• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Things Still Up In The Air ...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's quite a list. I'll start with a handful, then see what you guys come up with.

1. Plastic or Metal body panels? (officially in the air, but I'll give 10 to 1 it's metal)
2. Windshield washer type
3. Formal selling price of the base car (needed before ATVM can proceed -- DOE needs this to evaluate the financial self-sufficiency of the company)
4. ATVM itself, of course.
5. Battery capacity and location

OK, over to you.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great post Ekh

Here are a few items that I am wondering about as well

6) Paul Elio mentioned that Elio was going to be equip with All Season tires. These tires are fine for 3 Seasons but not very good for snow and ice. I believe All Weather Tires should considered. I would think that an American Tire company could get the coŕrect formulation for them and produce them in the United States.

All Weather Tires act like All Season but in cold weather the Rubber acts more like Winter tires, ie rubber gets softer at temps below -7'C. I believe it is.

7) Off the Assembly line 2 models should be offered. Standard model Manual Transmission for $6800.00* and Stardard/AT with automaic Transmission for say $7600.00*. Testing can be done with Stardard Transmission.

* TBA at a later date.

8) Fender lights should be fitted. White light forward facing and red refective tape or red light at rear lower portion of the fenders.

Passing this on for others to input their thoughts and Ideas.

Edited to renumber items...sorry

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree with #3.
Choice 1. Run wires/harness out to the fenders, then the sky's the limit. Stop Running Turn Tail , and Fog lights that look around corners.
Choice 2. Reflective, some really good stuff out there.
I would probably go with the reflective option.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree with #3.
Choice 1. Run wires/harness out to the fenders, then the sky's the limit. Stop Running Turn Tail , and Fog lights that look around corners.
Choice 2. Reflective, some really good stuff out there.
I would probably go with the reflective option.
Jerome told me in january they were aware of the safety issue but were leaning toward reflective tape as standard and led lights as an option. The big barrier was figuring out how to run the wiring given that the wheels move all over the place and deal with major vibration from riad surfaces and potholes.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jerome told me in january they were aware of the safety issue but were leaning toward reflective tape as standard and led lights as an option. The big barrier was figuring out how to run the wiring given that the wheels move all over the place and deal with major vibration from riad surfaces and potholes.
Wouldn't they just use braided metal to run the wire?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's quite a list. I'll start with a handful, then see what you guys come up with.

1. Plastic or Metal body panels? (officially in the air, but I'll give 10 to 1 it's metal)
3. Formal selling price of the base car (needed before ATVM can proceed -- DOE needs this to evaluate the financial self-sufficiency of the company)

OK, over to you.

6. Instrument Panel options.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The tour group will be in Colorado Springs at the Tiny House Festival on Aug 5-7
Who's going?
They can take the list right to them.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

OK, over to you.

1. How did we go from "we are experimenting with metal panels" to a 10:1 bet that it will be metal?
2. The enduring question!
3. $7600. Obviously final engineering needs to prove this number, but I'm betting PE would even give up the Elgin to hit their target base price ($7600 each, but at 250,000/year economies of scale bring that into the $6800 area)
4. Yup.
5. Meh.
6. ????
7. Profit!

Top Bottom