• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Car Is So Generic, How Can You Tell It's Stolen, Officer?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are so many laws on the books now it is impossible to get through the day without breaking several*. And if you've ever lived or worked in a big city you know that parking laws are often inscrutable and signs are frequently hidden, missing, wrong, or indecipherable. Meter maids make mistakes too.

* Wall Street Journal: Average American commits three felonies a day.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842
http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/Youtoo/tabid/86/Default.aspx

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was browsing the "DIY Hands On Projects" thread and reading about things people wanted to do to their Elios when their production number comes in, when my train of thought jumped the tracks. It was somewhere between the "At least then they'll be able to show it's their car" station and the stop called "Holy Cr*p! What if my Elio is stolen?"

Mind you, that's one reason I have the front bumper of my 20-year-old Honda Accord decorated with purple duct tape. What idjit is going to want to steal a car with a bumper held on by duct tape? (And it is "decorated", BTW. My daughters have been able to identify my car from blocks away because of it. And any statement that the duct tape is NECESSARY to attach the bumper is a scurrilous rumor!)

Anyway, for a few years anyway, Elios will be the exception instead of the rule on the roads, unlike the generic blue sedans or black SUVs I see all over town. So how many of us are relying partly on the uniqueness of the Elio to keep potential car thieves at bay? And are Elios going to be marked with serial numbers (not just VINs), like Cartier or Rolex watches, so police can contact the company and get the original buyer's information?
speaking of taping a car.
I have a friend who had an "x" painted on his roof
a. so if it were stolen
b. help him find it if he was at least on a second floor
as he too slips into the "what me worry" as dementia rears its head!
alfred.jpg

Top Bottom