• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a single old man in Mississippi with family in Pa., Tn.,and Ar.. I hope to wear out three sets of tires before I die visiting everyone and everything I can. MAYBE 5.
The Elio is going to be a babe magnet so maybe you will find a partner during all those travels by the end of that 3rd set.........the down side being a little more wear on the 4th and 5th sets with that extra passenger weight in the rear seat.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning on working with whatever is available for a hitch. My Can Am trailer for the Spyder is going to be doing double-duty when the Elio heads out of town and we need some storage.
The trailer is pretty streamlined, and doesn't affect mileage at all. Hardly even know it's behind you...tows like a dream.

View attachment 3821
I emailed EM a photo of the Spyder Trailer a couple years ago.......requesting they be sure to incorporate a receiver hitch option for towing it...........the response was we are working on that.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I emailed EM a photo of the Spyder Trailer a couple years ago.......requesting they be sure to incorporate a receiver hitch option for towing it...........the response was we working on that.

EM apparently worked on it and unfortunately the problems they encountered were less technical and more legal in nature. We already knew that it was not going to be available in the first year as it would take too much time to program the electronic drivers aids however they have also apparently discovered a host of legal issues both with legal compliance and with potential liability. So basically EM has discovered that there are some good reasons why towing is officially not recommended in many cars and motorcycles.

Of course none of this will prevent anyone from selling or buying hitches for this vehicle nor will it prevent anyone from towing however anyone who does so will do so entirely at their own risk and will risk voiding their Elio warranty for damage caused by towing.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will replace my motorcycle and while I have had many memorable cross country trips on the bike I'm really looking forward to the relative comfort of my new Elio.
Many times while riding the bike in a cold rain I have looked over at someone driving along in the crappiest little sedan all warm and dry and wondered if he would like to trade vehicles!
Soon I'll be out on the open road and when I see dark storm clouds gathering ahead I'll just roll up my electric windows instead of stopping to put on the rain gear. :cool:

I hear ya brotha! This is the exact reason I'm selling my bike for an Elio...as much as I love riding motorcycles, that love turns into hate when I get caught in the rain, or I have to put the bike away for the winter...besides, I've had my current motorcycle for going on 6 years now, and after a certain amount of time I get sick of my toys and develop a need to move onto something else...the Elio is that something else...

PeteinKC

Elio Fan
Reaction score
EM apparently worked on it and unfortunately the problems they encountered were less technical and more legal in nature. We already knew that it was not going to be available in the first year as it would take too much time to program the electronic drivers aids however they have also apparently discovered a host of legal issues both with legal compliance and with potential liability. So basically EM has discovered that there are some good reasons why towing is officially not recommended in many cars and motorcycles.

Of course none of this will prevent anyone from selling or buying hitches for this vehicle nor will it prevent anyone from towing however anyone who does so will do so entirely at their own risk and will risk voiding their Elio warranty for damage caused by towing.

I wonder what the legal issues are? The Spyder has stability control, 3 wheel ABS, and enough extra sensors (wheel angle, yaw, etc) to even do things like drop the throttle and such if I take a corner too fast and lift a front tire. The only part dealing with the towing is a user-switched option for 'towing mode' which changes the shift points to avoid extra wear on the semi-auto transmission clutch packs.
Not saying there's no reason, just being my normally curious self!
I was the same way when I got the Spyder...didn't have it but a few weeks before I was ordering a service manual and such so I could dig through what went on inside all the 'tupperware' covers. :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what the legal issues are? The Spyder has stability control, 3 wheel ABS, and enough extra sensors (wheel angle, yaw, etc) to even do things like drop the throttle and such if I take a corner too fast and lift a front tire. The only part dealing with the towing is a user-switched option for 'towing mode' which changes the shift points to avoid extra wear on the semi-auto transmission clutch packs.
Not saying there's no reason, just being my normally curious self!
I was the same way when I got the Spyder...didn't have it but a few weeks before I was ordering a service manual and such so I could dig through what went on inside all the 'tupperware' covers. :D

Unfortunately I don't remember the details only that when this was brought up in both Birmingham and Charlotte Jerome said no factory towing and mentioned some extra legal requirements along the other issues we already know. We already knew about the extra time, and money, required for development and testing of the electronic safety systems which meant towing would be a year two thing at the earliest. We also know that allowing towing brings EM more potential for liability which is why manufacturers of many vehicles officially list towing as not advisable and voiding the warranty. My guess is that while the first two are serious and would take extra time it is the last one, liability, that really kills towing from EM's point of view as they are a start-up and need to minimize the potential for issues when possible.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
tumblr_m1vkn1_MWr_S1rt1ji9o1_1280.png

We need to hook this guy up with an Elio.

Post #19
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5726187-27-Day-Miata-Trip-7000-miles

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because the elio has air conditioning and I live in the desert, it will be my primary transportation during the summer months. My current eight cars are between the years 1960 and 1971 and none have AC.

Because of the mileage, AC, and surely better reliability, I will use it for cross country as well. (I will be traveling alone.)

Top Bottom