• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Three Wheel Weight Distribution

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
We get many bent/broken rims around here :mad:
No thanks, we don't have problems like that here; but we also don't have winters like you do either.
I was born and raised in NW Indiana (Indiana Harbor / East Chicago) and moved to the Pacific NW in 1975, and have never regretted my decision.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering on how the 3 wheels will affect the ride in regards to potholes. Not missing them, but what happens when you drive over one. A table with 3 legs will always sit securely with all 3 legs on the floor while a 4 legged table has the possibility of one leg resting above the floor.
In a car with 4 wheels, if one wheel goes over (and into) a pothole, I would expect the weight distribution on the diagonal tire to want to keep the car from dipping down into the pothole. In a 3 wheeled car, there is no opposing wheel allowing all of the weight over the tire to drive the car down into the pothole.

Based on the "track width" it should be possible to miss a pothole larger that 2 feet across. The track width is 60"...+ ?...(don't recall exactly) so, lets say 5 feet or 60" divided x 2 is 30". Theoretically possible to "not drop into" a hole that wide. We're gonna have to pay good attention while driving. :)

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Safe to say that a three-wheeler driver has to pay more attention to the road condition than a regular car driver does... though not as concentrated as a motorcyclist has to?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based on the "track width" it should be possible to miss a pothole larger that 2 feet across. The track width is 60"...+ ?...(don't recall exactly) so, lets say 5 feet or 60" divided x 2 is 30". Theoretically possible to "not drop into" a hole that wide. We're gonna have to pay good attention while driving. :)

Safe to say that a three-wheeler driver has to pay more attention to the road condition than a regular car driver does... though not as concentrated as a motorcyclist has to?
Easier to miss a pothole on 2 wheels than 3 !

Top Bottom