• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has stated many times; that the Standard vehicle will come with trailer receiver 'mounting points' and wiring harness. The actual trailer hitch, and any trailers, will be supplied by After Market manufacturers. Should be 'no problem' for small, motorcycle style trailers.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has stated many times; that the Standard vehicle will come with trailer receiver 'mounting points' and wiring harness. The actual trailer hitch, and any trailers, will be supplied by After Market manufacturers. Should be 'no problem' for small, motorcycle style trailers.

Sorry, I only came across Elio late yesterday afternoon. Tried to read all info and watch all the vid’s I could. Must of missed that part.

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I'm planning....

htxkax.jpg

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks good, only the square tubes would run along the out side or under the rear main frame and extend out on both sides of the rear tire, angled to offset any deviation form parallel to the ground. Extended wire mesh with frame would then bridge the left and right tubes. As for your idea with the bikes, the square tubes would extend out a hole in the back, turn left or right and extend out past the side of the car and you could then attach frame to the bar. Use a cross bar from bike to bike to help stabilize the load. A single tube out the back would work, put I think spliting the load would be better. When it comes down to it, I think there should be three places to plug in square tubes.

JMO

Last edited:

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I can appreciate an integrated bike mount solution, I'm mainly looking for ways to use standard accessories. Cheap to buy, easy to use, quick on and off. The mock up I did above, is using a $80 rear hitch-mount cargo basket (50"x20"), and two rockymount pitchfork carriers. Any roof-mount bike tray could work, including full-length ratchet trays that don't require removing the front wheel. The only crucial element is finding a cargo basket with tube dimensions close to yakima or thule standards. Although there are universal mount bike trays that could work with most anything. The pitchfork will fit square and round profile cross bars, so I'm guessing the combo I posted would work. There would also be an accesory wheel carrier mounted on the rail just inside the bike.

Anyway, hitch + utility basket + bike tray = standard and affordable solution for bike + equipment. Enough space for two people's ride, or for the A and B bike with the dog in the back seat.

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA... I just noticed that due to my manipulation of the source image, the bike drivetrain is on the wrong side. I can't un-see it now, and it hurts! Its like seeing a car you've drooled over in british right-hand drive arrangement. Ouch.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I only came across Elio late yesterday afternoon. Tried to read all info and watch all the vid’s I could. Must of missed that part.
No problem; many of the posts are 'buried' on the EM FaceBook page, or on other threads. Since EM won't be making the receivers or trailers..... they don't advertise it much. IAV also stated that the engine/drivetrain was designed with a 'small' trailer in mind, so should be OK.

Top Bottom