• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not positive but, I think the torsion spring also provides better "damping" (less bounce) even without shocks. I do recall another "mod" for the HF trailer is to remove the "overload spring" from the leaf spring pack. :)

you are correct .... several good, lighter weight campers use torsion bar suspensions .... they really work well .... translation, when you get to where you are going the dishes are stll where you packed them in the cabinet

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a thought for those thinking about an HF trailer..........
If you already have a compressor it would be worth your while to spend $20 on a 3/8 drive pneumatic ratchet.
Built the 12" wheel version a while back and the pneumatic ratchet saved me a bunch of time and aggravation.

What are you doing on the trailer that requires a pneumatic ratchet?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to know if the Elio can be towed with an automatic shift or should it be a manual shift? I'm thinking of delivering motorhomes and towing my Elio so I can drive it home after delivery.

This is a good question and what we have been told is that it does not matter as both the automatic and manual can be towed safety so you can choose whatever transmission you prefer. The manual transmission is included in the Elio base price and the automatic is an extra cost option with the price yet to be determined.

The reason why the transmission choice does not matter for towing is that Elio Motors is using an AMT type automatic or automated manual transmission. This type of transmission is essentially a manual transmission which is outfitted with mechanisms to shift gears and work the clutch and a computer to control these actions. So when towing both transmission choices can simply be left in neutral and they behave the same way.

Last edited:

ctfink

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
ElioWithTrailer.jpg
This is the way to go. Elio, it's up to yo

Juney

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that from Ray but I can understand it. I use to live in Germany for a number of years and sometimes in winter I used to get up, look out the window and say to hell with it, I'm going back to bed. But here in California, even bad days are worth going outside (unless it's too hot). I bought a small cabin in the sierra's in the mother lode about 120 miles from my home and being there is just me and the wife (and many times she says 'can you go alone this time, I've got dance practice and want to hang with the girls'. I'm gone, man. The kids are grown, and the grandkids are at college and it's just me and the open highway. I've got a slight limp in my right leg and it's a little weak (no motorcycles), so yeah, I NEED this Elio!! Can't wait! But will.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
View attachment 5100 This is the way to go. Elio, it's up to yo

while I agree, unless the company lawyers undergo a 180 degree change, EM will not equip one of their trikes to pull a trailer .... that is per a conversation with Jerome in Charlotte last December .... he said the company wanted to do so but the lawyers concern over liability and the related cost makes it out of the question at this time .... who knows down the road ?

Top Bottom