• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission Type?

JimR

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type tranny will be in it? Will it be an H pattern or a sequential, as in a motorcycle?

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Basically instead of having a large torque converter to do the work of the clutch... it uses a manual transmission with computer controlled servos to make a pedal less clutch ...this allows for both manual shift selection or the computer will shift the gears as well. The advantage is less cost, easier factory installation and a lot less weight and the capability to be shifted manually with out a clutch pedal. The disadvantage is that until you get used to it manual shifting is a little of a learning curve and automatic shifting is not as smooth as one expects an automatic transmission...but with some practice in how you accelerate you can smooth this out (this last part is a guess since I would imagine that the AMT is not like the expensive ones in some race cars)

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Basically instead of having a large torque converter to do the work of the clutch... it uses a manual transmission with computer controlled servos to make a pedal less clutch ...this allows for both manual shift selection or the computer will shift the gears as well. The advantage is less cost, easier factory installation and a lot less weight and the capability to be shifted manually with out a clutch pedal. The disadvantage is that until you get used to it manual shifting is a little of a learning curve and automatic shifting is not as smooth as one expects an automatic transmission...but with some practice in how you accelerate you can smooth this out (this last part is a guess since I would imagine that the AMT is not like the expensive ones in some race cars)
Thanks Rick. I really never knew something like that existed. My 2010 Tucson may have that type of transmission and I never knew it. It acts a little strange during those times when it's not sure when to shift. I won't have a problem with that. Again, thanks fo taking the time to explain things Your surely sound very knowledgeable.

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I did hear a new development that hopefully will come to pass... If they can get the price right Elio would be doing a double clutch (Dual Clutch Transmission)... which would make things even nicer for the manual and the AMT... let us keep our fingers crossed.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2013 Ford Fiesta with the dry twin clutch set up (automatic) and it did take some getting used to the shift pattern. One of the advantages is no slippage when the gears lock up which betters the MPG!After a few weeks of driving it , you do not notice any difference from torq-converter automatics !RB

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The important issue is number of gears for forward speed and the ratio of those gears. After 1/1 ratio which means I revolution of the drive shaft per 1 revolution of the driven axel, you get into ""overdrive"" which is where the high mileage starts to occur and that is why you buy something like the ELIO!! (at least that is my understanding so correct me if I am wrong, please)RB

Top Bottom