• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, due to left hip problems I am no longer able to use a clutch so my Elio must be with an AMT.

My Elio will cost more for the AMT but it will be a requirement as a need not as a want

Same here. I'm healthy, but since my wife cannot/will not drive a Manual, we need to get the AMT.

Although I've been warming to the idea of the AMT anyways; my primary aversion to traditional automatics is the high repair/replacement cost of the transmission when it fails. Manuals and (single-clutch) AMTs are essentially the same, in that they can be repaired with a little elbow grease and a couple inexpensive parts.

As it is, it looks like we're selling my current daily driver ('96 Toyota Rav4) and replacing it with something that has an automatic transmission so that my wife can drive places beyond the range of our other car (our Nissan Leaf). 99% of the time we don't need any extra range, but there has been a few occasions we've had to borrow a car from somebody else, and I'd rather not have to rely on the goodwill of others in a pinch.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Drawback to an All Electric Vehicle.

This is why I will be looking into the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It is an SUV.

Unfortunately it is not yet available in North America till next year.

Hopefully around the same time that I receive my Elio.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same here. I'm healthy, but since my wife cannot/will not drive a Manual, we need to get the AMT.

Although I've been warming to the idea of the AMT anyways; my primary aversion to traditional automatics is the high repair/replacement cost of the transmission when it fails. Manuals and (single-clutch) AMTs are essentially the same, in that they can be repaired with a little elbow grease and a couple inexpensive parts.

As it is, it looks like we're selling my current daily driver ('96 Toyota Rav4) and replacing it with something that has an automatic transmission so that my wife can drive places beyond the range of our other car (our Nissan Leaf). 99% of the time we don't need any extra range, but there has been a few occasions we've had to borrow a car from somebody else, and I'd rather not have to rely on the goodwill of others in a pinch.
I have to admit... though I've been buying, fixing, selling cars for many, many years, I have never had a transmission problem with any of the automatics. I've found manual transmissions to be more of a pain because clutches do go bad (I know the AMT is basically a fancy Manual transmission). But, growing up in the mid-1980's, both of my brothers and I learned how to drive on a 1980 Ford Mustang 4 cylinder with a 4 speed manual. When my parents finally sold that car many years later, it still had the original clutch. If you don't make a habit of reving up the car and overly modulating the clutch, they tend to last a loooooooooooong time. To be completely fair, all us boys rode motorcycles and were familiar with clutches before ever getting behind the wheel of a car. But again, 30 years of driving, I've had one transmission fail and THAT was because it was slipping a little (under warranty and just barely a year old) so I took it to the dealer where they "fixed it". 500 miles later, it stranded me. My NEW dealer (we were moving) said that the first guys put in some springs or something that weren't supposed to be in the new transmission mod. The first dealer was upset that they were being called inept but I didn't care. I had no further issues. I've found transmissions to be pretty bullet-proof (even when I added big V-8s and souped them up a little)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Malaise Era automatics (at least from GM) would blow-up at about 50-60k miles. More-recent automatics will easily go 200k with proper care and maintenance. (With some notable exceptions. I'm looking at you, Dodge and Honda of ten years ago...)

Since the implementation of throttle-by-wire and computer-controlled automatic transmissions, it's impossible for the loose nut behind the wheel to abuse the transmission with their right foot.

For manuals, as Ty said the clutch will last the life of the car if you know how to drive.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lucky dog! I've been wanting to go to either that school or Skip Barber's school for like ever.
Save yourself a boat-load of money and get more track time and instruction by hooking up with SCCA or NASA or a regional group. You have a great road-race course just over the river in Glenwood, IA:
http://racewayparkofthemidlands.com/site/Home

Drive Full Throttle operates there. One day is $220: http://www.drivefullthrottle.com/

Other learning events there too: http://racewayparkofthemidlands.com/site/Roadcourse

Don't wait until you can find time/money to do Skip Barber, you'll regret that you waited so long. Especially with a track less than 30 minutes from you! I'm a track junkie and have to drive 2 hours to get a fix...

Top Bottom