• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Triggering Stoplight Change

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As some of you know, I drive a smart, and sometimes it has trouble triggering a stoplight to change to green. This is particularly bad for some green arrow intersections in my town. The smart weighs a little over 1800 pounds, and it's a couple feet shorter than typical automobiles.

Does anyone know (or has EM discussed) if the Elio may have trouble triggering stoplight changes at intersections? I'm thinking the 1200+ lbs might not be enough to trigger it, but maybe its length being more like typical automobiles will offset the lighter weight relative to the traffic signal sensors buried at the intersections.

Durk Jenkins

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As some of you know, I drive a smart, and sometimes it has trouble triggering a stoplight to change to green. This is particularly bad for some green arrow intersections in my town. The smart weighs a little over 1800 pounds, and it's a couple feet shorter than typical automobiles.

Does anyone know (or has EM discussed) if the Elio may have trouble triggering stoplight changes at intersections? I'm thinking the 1200+ lbs might not be enough to trigger it, but maybe its length being more like typical automobiles will offset the lighter weight relative to the traffic signal sensors buried at the intersections.[/QU

Durk Jenkins

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Weight has nothing to do with triggering traffic lights. Most are loop detectors that use the metal in the vehicle, like a metal detector for prospecting for buried coins etc. Some use other ways like cameras, motion sensors etc.
Elio is bigger than a motorcycle so I don't think it would be a problem. I have a loop detector in my driveway to let me know if someone is on my property.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TL;DR - Elio will have no problem at traffic lights for people who understand how they are triggered.

Some are triggered by cameras, but most are triggered by induction loops that are sensitive enough for a bicycle to trigger them.

It's very annoying when people don't understand how traffic lights work and don't pull up to the light on top of the sensor loop. The loop is generally very obvious:
signal_Quadrupoledetector.jpg

But you have to be on the loop for it to trigger. There's a turn signal on my way to work that people routinely completely miss the loop and we sit there through a complete cycle. I have to go around them or try to pull up as close as I can and get my car over the sensor.

Here's how they work (the image is a link):
red-light-camera-loop.gif

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Washington state, if you are on a motorcycle and are stuck at a red through an entire cycle and never get a green, then you can treat the red like a stop sign.
Not sure if that's the law in California, but that's how I treat it. No way I'm going to sit for a second cycle, unless it also happens to be a red light camera intersection.

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is what I have been doing on all my small cars and motorcycles for years. Just get some very strong magnets and put them under the front of your car or bike. I put them on both sides of the suspension and under the front cross member. On bikes I also put them on the bottom of the forks and under the frame. The more the better. No more problems.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Top Bottom