1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Turbo-charging .9 Liter Elio Engine

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by Palliden7, Nov 2, 2016.

1. skygazer6033

skygazer6033 Elio Addict

Another case of using the wrong word. Both the belt and the chain are reliable. Durability is what you're really looking at. That is, the chain is more durable. I'm sure the chain would last 2 or 3 times as long as a belt. The only reason I can think of to use a belt is there is very slightly less friction loss so it's slightly more efficient. Chains need plastic slipper guides to keep them from flapping around and making noise. You give up a little efficiency to help with engine noise.

outsydthebox likes this.
  2. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Think about the drive belt on bike's.
    Chains do stretch; belts don't (they break if it a cheap belt) but if it's a heavy duty steel reinforced belt, it might be better than a chain.
    Belts have come a long way from when they first came out. They use belts on superchargers on Top Fuel cars (8,000 to 12,000 hp.
    )

Where is Palmer? It doesn't bell a ring with me. :confused2:

3. Chaz

Chaz Elio Addict

My Fiesta is the 1L turbo, and I was told this also when I talked to the service people. They said it is expected to last as a chain would but has less resistance which is why it was chosen over a chain.

W. WIllie likes this.
  4. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

How about some valuations of the vehicle?.
    I wish they had made it in a coupe model.

5. skychief

skychief Elio Addict

A couple of leaf blowers pointed at the throttle-body can actually increase HP in a 3-cyl engine - confirmed on dyno :

6. Coss

In 2013 they did make a 3 door Fiesta

upload_2016-11-6_9-50-9.png

There was one problem with it.

You couldn't buy it in the US

7. Chaz

Chaz Elio Addict

They do sell the ST Fiesta here but it is a 1.6l turbo. I have a 1l 3cly sedan, it makes 125hp and 140lb-ft of torque. In Europe they have tuned the 1l engine to put out 140hp. I also read they now have a version that can output 160hp. I have been averaging 35mpg around town and 46 hwy.

8. Coss

9. Fredio

Fredio Elio Fan

Thank you for the warm welcome, neighbor! Is Hazzard County on the other side of the river from Ceciltucky?

I emailed Elio Motors about this. They replied the following business day with the below. Thankfully it is a case of suspicions confirmed!

"Hello Frederick,
    Yes, that is a mistake! The Elio will be using a timing chain instead of a belt.

Thanks,
    Elio Team"

PS for the Moderators: I understand combining threads about the same topic, but why combine two new timing belt or chain threads with an existing turbocharging thread, which has since been hijacked by Ford Fiesta posts? It makes it difficult to find your own post and is otherwise confusing.

Bert and Jambe like this.
  10. Coss

Welcome to typical thread drift; at one point in the beginning of this thread the threads that were merged were talking about the same thing; why have two or three threads talking about the same topic when they all over lap? That's why they were merged.
    As for the Ford Fiesta comment; that's where the thread drift snuck in. The fiesta also has a small motor with a turbo and some very similar attributes included was the timing belt / chain with an oil bath, and the question why the Elio has a 6qt pan. All of these topics do cover the same area, but on their own, they don't have the staying power of a good discussion