• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Turborize Me

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere Mr Elio said you can put a Mc Claren supercharger in it for around $800.00
Do some research McLaren builds Supercars and has an F1 team. McCulloch built superchargers in the 60's. Paxton and Vortech currently offer centrifugal superchargers in various sizes but none for $800. The ignorance in this thread is driving me crazy. If you don't know what you are talking about leave it to the people that do or ask questions. As I have previously stated Turbochargers=Money and the same is true for superchargers.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do some research McLaren builds Supercars and has an F1 team. McCulloch built superchargers in the 60's. Paxton and Vortech currently offer centrifugal superchargers in various sizes but none for $800. The ignorance in this thread is driving me crazy. If you don't know what you are talking about leave it to the people that do or ask questions. As I have previously stated Turbochargers=Money and the same is true for superchargers.

Please show me proof you know what you are talking about.
All I did was quote Mr. Elio. Sorry for the spelling and leaving out the quotation marks.

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I did some quick calculations and came up with a few numbers. To get 100hp from the 900cc AIV engine would require a 66% increase in airflow. This equates to 9.7 psi and 166 cfm at a pressure ratio of 1.66. A turbonetics T3 40 trim wheel with a .25 A/R ratio housing should deliver the desired results without running too hot. Now, the rest of this is pure speculation as I don't know hard numbers for this engine. It is speculated that this motor will be direct injected which traditionally would allow for a fairly high compression ratio. It has been stated that AIV is not pushing the motor hard to achieve 60hp so they may lower the CR slightly. No matter what an intercooler will be mandatory. If it stays at or below 10.5 to 1 then 9.7 psi with a 75% efficient intercooler would theoretically keep the CR at a respectable 12 to 1 calculated. It may be necessary to run water/alcohol injection to control detonation at higher RPM. The fuel supply would also have to be increased by approximately 66% to keep up with the turbo and a major reworking of the engine management software. Now lets factor in the price of the turbo, a custom built intercooler, custom exhaust manifold, oil supply lines to the turbo, re-plumbing the intake, and possibly boring the throttle body for more flow. I would estimate that it could be done for about $4,000 if the bulk of the work was done yourself. If you had to pay someone to do the entire job then add $2,500 in labor. I have built custom turbo systems for motorcycles in the past so I have some experience at this. If you are not completely comfortable under the hood of a car wrenching on the motor then you shouldn't attempt a job like this yourself. Please be respectful of the fact that I took some liberties in generating these numbers because I don't have a full spec sheet on the AIV motor and it's been I few years since I calculated a turbo setup so my math my be off a hair. This is also to build a system from scratch, if a kit was available it would be much cheaper because the custom parts would be included.
Do you know the formulas used to calculate these numbers? I said do research before making an untrue statement. I have spent a lot of time building small bore turbo engines. If anybody on here thinks for a moment it will be cheap to turbo a 900cc triple they will be sorely disappointed.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you know the formulas used to calculate these numbers? I said do research before making an untrue statement. I have spent a lot of time building small bore turbo engines. If anybody on here thinks for a moment it will be cheap to turbo a 900cc triple they will be sorely disappointed.

Like I said
All I did was quote Mr. Elio.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was a mis-quote then because McLaren does not sell a supercharger.

"McCulloch built superchargers in the 60's"
Didn't say they didn't

Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Supercharger

"McLaren does not sell a supercharger"
No, but they do or did manufacture them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Craig won this round! There's lesson to be learned from this....know what the heck you're talking about before braggin'!:D

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"McCulloch built superchargers in the 60's"
Didn't say they didn't

Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Supercharger

"McLaren does not sell a supercharger"
No, but they do or did manufacture them.

Well it was probably made by Lysholm Technologies or Eaton but still they did use it plus the 12C is turbocharged as is the P1. Lets face the facts forced induction cost money either by OE option or aftermarket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom