• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two Door Elio?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt there would be a second door. A chassis insert bolted/welded in, yes. And the door switching sides for other countries, I could see that. But I do no think they would add complexity and weight for safety reasons. Easier to just include a window breaker mounted somewhere accessible in the car.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt there would be a second door. A chassis insert bolted/welded in, yes. And the door switching sides for other countries, I could see that. But I do no think they would add complexity and weight for safety reasons. Easier to just include a window breaker mounted somewhere accessible in the car.
True. A simple spring-loaded center punch would suffice.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is interesting. They would permanently install a chassis panel in one side and a door in the other side.

In England where the steering wheel is on the other side of the vehicle, which arm does the driver shift gears with? Right or left?
Left and it is weird for those of us used to driving on the correct side even us lefties.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Elio is going to have a "door" on the right side, but not as a door, but rather as a safety hatch. This would be to make people feel safer if the front left wheel is knocked off in an accident and the vehicle is laying on its left side. The "door" would probably have an inner handle to use to escape, but no outside door. It would not be used to enter, but only to leave in case of the appropriate emergency.

One of the slogans of the Elio was formerly: 3 wheels, 2 people, 1 door.

Now that slogan has now changed to: 3 wheels, 2 people, 1 mission.

This slogan is shown on the EM websidte: https://www.eliomotors.com/ (third picture down).

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is interesting. They would permanently install a chassis panel in one side and a door in the other side.

In England where the steering wheel is on the other side of the vehicle, which arm does the driver shift gears with? Right or left?

I rented a car in England in the 80's. The shift was on the left side so you used the left hand to shift. It was very "foreign" to me!

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Elio is going to have a "door" on the right side, but not as a door, but rather as a safety hatch. This would be to make people feel safer if the front left wheel is knocked off in an accident and the vehicle is laying on its left side. The "door" would probably have an inner handle to use to escape, but no outside door. It would not be used to enter, but only to leave in case of the appropriate emergency.

One of the slogans of the Elio was formerly: 3 wheels, 2 people, 1 door.

Now that slogan has now changed to: 3 wheels, 2 people, 1 mission.

This slogan is shown on the EM websidte: https://www.eliomotors.com/ (third picture down).
I don't see that happening...costs and engineering involved would be too costly. Its been discussed in the past, and moving forward, I don't see the company selecting that option.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I rented a car in England in the 80's. The shift was on the left side so you used the left hand to shift. It was very "foreign" to me!
Yes, but how quickly were you able to adjust to it?
I know when I went over, it was an easy adjustment to make.
I was over there for 6 weeks, and it was just like I had done it forever.
The harder part was going back to left hand drive, that seemed more foreign to me, and it took just a bit longer to switch back.
And that was scary at times, especially on 4 lane left hand turns. I turned into the wrong lane more then once, but fixed it pretty quickly.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So you should have fit right in with normal traffic!
Yup, especially up here, what a bunch of brain dead car operators. It's funny as hell when it snows; I grew up in the Midwest (south Chicago) and the snow we have here is nothing, but these people just panic. Pull over chain up, go 3 blocks, and lose a chain, or both of them because they put them on wrong; what a bunch of terrible drivers. They will abandon a car where ever they get stuck!! They hear a wheel spin, they panic, shut it off, grab their stuff, and walk away, but they do make sure they lock the car before they leave it. What a bunch of idiots.

Ok, back on topic, I've rambled on enough.
Elio, 2 doors, bad idea? I think so, but that's my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember the little car where the whole front end opened up as the door? They ended up putting a fabric panel on the top like a sun roof so that the driver would not be trapped in an accident. While I don't think a second door is needed, I like the idea of a emergency hatch. I would also like to see an option for a sunroof.

Top Bottom