• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Uber Self-driving Vehicle Accident Results In Pedestrian Fatality In Arizona...

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because he had nothing to do? (As in DRIVING)
I find that when I drive a standard I am a much better driver. Shifting gears is making me concentrate more on driving. I don't think I could sit in the car like that without daydreaming. Train engineers have to touch an occasional control to prevent auto brake from engaging. Might need something like that for the safety driver.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The only place lane splitting is totally legal is California. There is no mph restrictions.
It's also legal in Washington and Oregon; it was just passed and went into effect a few years ago.
It is a "proceed at your own risk" situation in all three of these states.
So if you're splitting lanes and someone decides to change lanes in front of you, it's your problem. That's one thing they didn't include in the law.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's also legal in Washington and Oregon; it was just passed and went into effect a few years ago.
It is a "proceed at your own risk" situation in all three of these states.
So if you're splitting lanes and someone decides to change lanes in front of you, it's your problem. That's one thing they didn't include in the law.
Nice to know, thanks :)

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About 10 years ago my brother (who is deaf) changed lanes in CA right in front of a motorcycle. It clipped the RR fender and the rider went over the car. So, i know he ran into a problem because he should have seen and heard the bike. Other witnesses said that the guy in the bike was only one car behind my brother, pulled out and took off. So the chance of him seeing the bike was minimal. In the end, he actually had to get re-certified that he was totally deaf (which he was from birth) because this bike had the loud pipes which save lives. This case went on for like 3 years and finally it was settled with him not at fault. The amazing part is his senses are 10X more than anyone else I know just because he has no hearing and never had it from birth. Trust me, his sense of vibration from a fart that I had growing up would give him fair warning before the smell came around. There was no such thing as a silent killer with him.

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is NOT legal in Washington State to split lanes. Not yet. We keep trying but it has not happened.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So while I was reading up on this, I learned that "lane splitting" and "lane sharing" are two distinctly different things. I wonder if a lot of the disagreement here is because we aren't all using the same definitions for these terms.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So while I was reading up on this, I learned that "lane splitting" and "lane sharing" are two distinctly different things. I wonder if a lot of the disagreement here is because we aren't all using the same definitions for these terms.
We have neither here. What is the difference?

Top Bottom