• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Under $10k Kia Rio

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coincidentally: I am driving a brand new 2018 Kia Soul today. (A dealer loaner.) Not a bad little car. A bit underpowered, I think, but I've only driven it about 30 miles down the highway. I like it better than the Corolla or Accord rentals I had last month. The Accord's stereo interface was total garbage. The Kia Soul's is way better. When I went to pair my phone to the stereo, it actually had verbal instructions. An odd thing to like a car for, but it made the process quick and easy, as opposed to the stupidly painful 10 minute process with the Honda. The Soul is pretty comfortable, and an easy drive.
Turbo! :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Do you know WHY the prices have dropped?
Because they're not selling. ALL of the car manufacturers that you represent are in PANIC mode because of industry disrupters like Tesla and potential disrupters like Elio.

Yes, this part is correct, they did "we think we're going to sell this many, so build them" and then sales slowed down.
There are still a bunch of 2017 (all makes and models) sitting unsold that dealerships, and allotment lots.
They over built for the 2017 model, and now they're stuck with them.
So dealerships are making swinging deals on all remaining stock.
I got a 2017 Dodge Journey for a marked down price of $21K and it listed at $32K gee an $11K markdown right off the line that had 9 miles on it.
That was in June 2017; and guess what? They still have a few left! But it's with all the low end toys and trinkets. (Mine had everything I wanted including the V6 and 6 speed auto).
Dealers were hoping they would sell everything they could get their hands on, and ended up getting stuck with way more then they thought they would sell. Looks good on them.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As for backup cameras, every 2018 onward 4 wheeled car has them as mandated by federal law.
Did you not fully read the post to which you replied? This very morning I drove a 2018 Kia Soul. Brand new, straight from the factory. Had 17 miles on it when I picked it up. It certainly has 4 wheels. And it most definitely does NOT have a backup camera.

The point is, what used to be something you'd never see on a cheapo base model car back in a year like 2013, is not the case today. Every year that passes, the base model cars are getting more and more of that technology that was only reserved for the high end cars in 2013. Each year Elio waits to get to production, means it's not offering the dirt cheap technology that is off the shelf and what people expect.
I do somewhat agree with this. Then again, my expectations vary based on what I'm paying. If I'm going to pay $40k, that car had better be loaded. If it's only $8k, I'm willing to settle for a lot less. The few things I consider as must-have can be added on after-market.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you not fully read the post to which you replied? This very morning I drove a 2018 Kia Soul. Brand new, straight from the factory. Had 17 miles on it when I picked it up. It certainly has 4 wheels. And it most definitely does NOT have a backup camera.
This: On March 31, 2014, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that it would require all automobiles sold in the United States built beginning in May 2018 to include backup cameras.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This: On March 31, 2014, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that it would require all automobiles sold in the United States built beginning in May 2018 to include backup cameras.
That explains it. So effectively all model year 2019s and beyond.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

But would this include the Elio?

(honest question)

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is a motorcycle, so that rule would not apply, and they won't have them on the base model. You can get it as an add-on option, though.

Top Bottom