• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Under The P5 Hood

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to those who have provided pics from the LA Auto Show! Those are very good quality pictures!

So some things I'd like to hear other's comments on:

Hood latches: An interesting choice. I think they look fine, maybe have a muscle-car vibe to them, as laughable as that is.

Fuel Gauge: I am surprised to see this in this location. Prototype item only?

Clean!: Looks like a very clean an uncluttered area. My Honda has all kinds of crap under the hood: fuse boxes, brake master cylinder, etc) but the Elio P5 looks barren. Does this P5 have all the features of the production (anti-lock brakes and all the safety doodads)? If it does, they've done a remarkable job with their layout.

I continue to be impressed and look forward to one in my garage!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that the fuel gage inside the engine compartment was there to make things easier for fire marshal/show official inspections. I imagine this car is intended to be presented at a lot of shows. Definitely specific to the P5, and not a production item.

LAFD requires that the cars main battery be disconnected and no more than 1/4 tank of gas.
It makes sense to have a little self contained battery powered gauge.
---> http://laautoshow.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/2015_Exhibitor_Kit_Version_8_LOCKED.pdf <---
(Battery disconnect requirement on page 137)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say P5 doesn't have any of the electrical features of the production car. Things like ABS stability control etc. My guess it has minimal wiring to make it work and is running a standalone ecu. Not surprised as its probably not done and as G1 said its going back to Technosports for more work. Probably to fit more production like items.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The P5 is actually outfitted with a Continental PCM and a prototype version of the production wiring harness. It does not yet have the electronic stability control system installed.

I am working on a little article with many of these details however I am traveling back to Atlanta today and also need to get all the photos I took downloaded and organized.

Last edited:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 is actually outfitted with a Continental PCM and a prototype version of the production wiring harness. It does not yet have the electronic stability control system installed.

I am working on a little article with many of these details however I am traveling back to Atlanta today and also need to get all the photos I took downloaded and organized.

I wonder if they intend to go coil on plug ignition or use the set up as shown. Reminds me of the LSx series of motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LAFD requires that the cars main battery be disconnected and no more than 1/4 tank of gas.
It makes sense to have a little self contained battery powered gauge.
---> http://laautoshow.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/2015_Exhibitor_Kit_Version_8_LOCKED.pdf <---
(Battery disconnect requirement on page 137)

I find this somewhat interesting since 1/4 tank of gas is much more dangerous than a full tank. Remember, gasoline won't burn! Only the fumes will burn. So they require that the tank be 3/4 full of fumes.
Check with a muffler shop. Typically they won't fire up a torch under a car unless all tanks are full.
Of course, this IS California.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find this somewhat interesting since 1/4 tank of gas is much more dangerous than a full tank. Remember, gasoline won't burn! Only the fumes will burn. So they require that the tank be 3/4 full of fumes.
Check with a muffler shop. Typically they won't fire up a torch under a car unless all tanks are full.

Check with the LA Fire Marshal's office. It's their rules, not mine.
Oh, incidentally, welcome to the forum. :)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mel, welcome to the forum, source of the best information on the Elio. Glad to have you join in the journey with us.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

What the heck is PCM? Pulse Code Modulation? Too many abreviations..... Or I'm getting too old.

Top Bottom