• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Update On My Ayro 311 Reverse Trike & Something Went Horribly Wrong!

Aufgeblassen

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just the other day took delivery of an Ayro 311 ( https://ayro.com/ayro-311/ ) all electric autocycle/golf car/reverse trike, and something went horribly wrong at only around 20 miles on the speedo!

And it had about 16 miles on it when I got it. All was fine for a few miles, and I even had it at top speed of 50, but shortly after that, there was a horrible mechanical sound, and then I lost all power. Something mechanically broke in motor or transmission. Would not respond to accelerator pedal at all in forward or reverse until I manually pushed it a little bit while in gear, and then horrible impacting/grinding sound resulted with accelerator pushed.

The dealer apparently contacted the factory, and determined it sounds like a bad motor, and factory is sending them a new one. They'll come get the 311 when it comes in, unless they decide to attempt to swap it out at my house (about an hour away from West Palm Beach dealership).

I hope "when" the Elio comes out y'all don't have similar issues!!!

BTW: my 311 is serial number 34.

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just the other day took delivery of an Ayro 311 ( https://ayro.com/ayro-311/ ) all electric autocycle/golf car/reverse trike, and something went horribly wrong at only around 20 miles on the speedo!

And it had about 16 miles on it when I got it. All was fine for a few miles, and I even had it at top speed of 50, but shortly after that, there was a horrible mechanical sound, and then I lost all power. Something mechanically broke in motor or transmission. Would not respond to accelerator pedal at all in forward or reverse until I manually pushed it a little bit while in gear, and then horrible impacting/grinding sound resulted with accelerator pushed.

The dealer apparently contacted the factory, and determined it sounds like a bad motor, and factory is sending them a new one. They'll come get the 311 when it comes in, unless they decide to attempt to swap it out at my house (about an hour away from West Palm Beach dealership).

I hope "when" the Elio comes out y'all don't have similar issues!!!

BTW: my 311 is serial number 34.
In spite of the fact that quality control seems a little weak, it sounds like the company is doing the right thing. I wasn't there, but "horribly wrong" usually means injury or death in my book. Sounds more like just a rough day to me. Hope it gets fixed soon, and you get back on the road.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I learned a hard lesson many years ago. Bought a loaded Toyota Camry when it first came out. Transmission was trash. Became known as the 36,000 mile tranny. After that, I swore I'd never buy a 1st year anything. I haven't so far and don't plan to.

Hope they fix it and you have no more issues.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
totally agree. We bought a nissan Rogue , first year, and the CVT tranny went bad at 60k. Replaced under warranty, but at 120K started acting up again. Dumped it quick. On the other hand, sometimes (rarely) it works out. Bought a 2008 Nissan Versa, still going, only issue is that the coil springs are breaking (replaced under recall), but was lucky that year had a choice between CVT trans and regular 3 speed auto. Ours had the "normal" 3 speed trans, no issues, but I hear the CVT had numerous ones. First production year is always a production test, so you have to hope they got it all right. The problem is many of these issues show up years later, so second and third year buyers are still in test rigs. By the time the bugs are all fixed, the model is discontinued.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why I didn't put down a deposit on an Elio. Brand new company that has never built anything before will have some major problems. Especially when they were trying to build their own motor from scratch. Just look at the debacle for Hyundai/Kia when it came to the Theta II engine. They lock up at around 50K and Hyundai/Kia came up with excuse after excuse. It wasn't until a whistle blower from Hyundai came forward and then the NHTSA got Hyundai to extend the warranty for the engine. Top it off, the ones they were changing, many caught on fire due to a fuel line that obviously was meant to be reused or marginal at best.

Reading here about Toyota and Nissan transmissions going south so soon and with the Hyundai engine problem, it shows that even experienced companies have problems. So when the Elio gets to production in late 2021 (as of today November 18, 2021) and it taking a year to fulfill the reservations, I don't see myself owning one until Thanksgiving 2022. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out by then and not use a Hyundai Theta II engine or a Toyota or Nissan Transmission.

Top Bottom