• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

USA Today posting nonstop negative articles

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 3 Electra Mechannica locations on Google maps show a store open time of 11am to 7pm now.
I will have to try and go by and see if anything is real about that.
I still contend that the Solo is a city-car and limited to a small market in that case. Even more limited for the slower Sam-Cree.
(let's not even mention the Aphere)

I don't think Vanderhall will ever build a Elio equivalent, in EV or gas, since such a thing would compete almost directly with their sports models.
They will stick to higher profit specialty markets.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what the deposit owners want. If it's not profitable, the investors will not support it.

With the amount of money "Depositors" put down, I would most certainly consider them "Investors", with a right to determine the direction of the company.

The EV is a slap in the face for them from that perspective.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the amount of money "Depositors" put down, I would most certainly consider them "Investors", with a right to determine the direction of the company.

…. And the real kicker was the 2 year total silence. Depositors we’re begging for updates - begging for any sign of life or caring. Stone silence. Lack of communication is not a good way to win people over… or keep them happy.

About two months after this recent email - here we are again. No communication…. Not good. But it is unfortunately the norm. Doesn’t have to be that way…

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, some of them perhaps.

People change opinions over the years, and speaking for myself I made the decision to forsake all ICE vehicles several years ago. I would even have passed on the Elio-G if they ever made it.

But I would absolutely consider an Elio-E to replace my aging Nissan Leaf.

I am not holding out any hope that Elio will ever get made, but them going electric has made me care enough to follow Elio news again

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, some of them perhaps.

People change opinions over the years, and speaking for myself I made the decision to forsake all ICE vehicles several years ago. I would even have passed on the Elio-G if they ever made it.

But I would absolutely consider an Elio-E to replace my aging Nissan Leaf.

I am not holding out any hope that Elio will ever get made, but them going electric has made me care enough to follow Elio news again
Hey Sethodine....

What year and how many miles do you have on the Leaf. Forgive me if I'm asking you to repeat... ;)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Sethodine....

What year and how many miles do you have on the Leaf. Forgive me if I'm asking you to repeat... ;)
We actually have two.

My wife's Leaf is a 2012 with about 58k miles and a severely degraded battery. It only gets 45 miles of range on a good day. It's sufficient for her daily needs for now, but we plan on replacing it with a Lightning F-150 next year.

My daily commuter is a 2013 with 80,500 miles, and a remarkably healthy battery that still gets about 75 miles. It works fine for now, but it's 8 years old and ain't getting younger. By the time an Elio-E gets made, I might be ready to replace my commuter with something more fun.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We actually have two.

My wife's Leaf is a 2012 with about 58k miles and a severely degraded battery. It only gets 45 miles of range on a good day. It's sufficient for her daily needs for now, but we plan on replacing it with a Lightning F-150 next year.

My daily commuter is a 2013 with 80,500 miles, and a remarkably healthy battery that still gets about 75 miles. It works fine for now, but it's 8 years old and ain't getting younger. By the time an Elio-E gets made, I might be ready to replace my commuter with something more fun.
I'm not really familiar with EVs (yet). Why would your Leaf with 80K miles get more miles per charge than your wife's 58K Leaf?
Does the additional year impact the capacity of the batteries? Looks like with less miles – her batteries would hold a better charge?

Are the batteries the same or different generations?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with EVs (yet). Why would your Leaf with 80K miles get more miles per charge than your wife's 58K Leaf?
Does the additional year impact the capacity of the batteries? Looks like with less miles – her batteries would hold a better charge?

Are the batteries the same or different generations?
There was a lot of changes between those two model years, although cosmetically they appear the same.

The 2013 has a more resilient battery chemistry, some aerodynamic improvements, slightly lighter weight and some throttle curve changes that help it drive more efficiently. All these together gave it an EPA range of 82 miles brand new, compared to the 75 mile range of the previous year. So some of the differences between mine and hers were there from the start.

The battery chemistry change was the biggest improvement. 2011-12 batteries would do very poorly in hot climates, and ours apparently was originally sold in Arizona. The Leaf battery is air-cooled. All modern EVs use liquid regulated packs now, which are a bit more complex but have greater performance and far lower degredation.

So there are many factors at play. And many lessons learned, both by the manufacturers and by us. These first-generation EVs have been so incredibly cheap to own and fuel that I don't regret them for one second, but I am definitely looking forward to replacing them with modern technology.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a lot of changes between those two model years, although cosmetically they appear the same.

The 2013 has a more resilient battery chemistry, some aerodynamic improvements, slightly lighter weight and some throttle curve changes that help it drive more efficiently. All these together gave it an EPA range of 82 miles brand new, compared to the 75 mile range of the previous year. So some of the differences between mine and hers were there from the start.

The battery chemistry change was the biggest improvement. 2011-12 batteries would do very poorly in hot climates, and ours apparently was originally sold in Arizona. The Leaf battery is air-cooled. All modern EVs use liquid regulated packs now, which are a bit more complex but have greater performance and far lower degredation.

So there are many factors at play. And many lessons learned, both by the manufacturers and by us. These first-generation EVs have been so incredibly cheap to own and fuel that I don't regret them for one second, but I am definitely looking forward to replacing them with modern technology.
Thanks for taking time to explain. Makes perfect sense. I'm sure you got your money's worth... and more.

I suspect one day my wife and I will own an electric. Our driving routines changed two years ago and an electric would fit us well now. I can see us getting one in a year or two. However, right now I'm pulling hard for Mark's BEX. I'd like to drive the wheels off it with an ICE. Could the BEX be my last new ICE vehicle?

That's hard to believe... but times are a changin' I guess.

Top Bottom