• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Utah?

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Taylor,
I am living in Orem, Utah and was wondering if there will be a facility available here. I heard that Elio wasn't going to be able to sell in Utah due to some law. I am not sure if this is true or not, but if so, how would I be able to receive this work of art?
I do not have a reservation number as of yet due to this fact. I am looking forward to being a proud owner of a masterpiece.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS. I am willing to provide what I would like in my Elio as well as a custom paint job (if you offer those)

Thank you,
~Taylor

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I am living in Orem, Utah and was wondering if there will be a facility available here. I heard that Elio wasn't going to be able to sell in Utah due to some law. I am not sure if this is true or not, but if so, how would I be able to receive this work of art?
I do not have a reservation number as of yet due to this fact. I am looking forward to being a proud owner of a masterpiece.

PS. I am willing to provide what I would like in my Elio as well as a custom paint job (if you offer those)

Thank you,
~Taylor

Hi Taylor, welcome to the forum!

We are not affiliated officially with Elio Motors, we are a forum for people that are interested in the vehicle. Sounds like you are one of those people!

Someone here will have some information about Utah and whether you can buy one there. Another idea is to use the link in my signature, and contacting Elio Motors directly with your question(s). Other people have other links in their signature to contact Elio Motors too.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey big welcome from the Evergreen State, information you are asking is right on target. To find the locations of the stores (no dealerships) if you go to Elio Motors website, you'll be able to find the locations-also the tour schedules, and the weekly blog. I'm not sure about Utah specific, there have been many other states that have resisted the store model. Tesla was a leader in the concept- political pressure is/was put by the dealerships to prevent it.
There is much information to be gleaned here, don't expect the threads to stay on topic, most of them "drift".
This is a very friendly "mature" group, @ 22 you will be a breath of fresh air sharing your prospective on this project.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thank you,
~Taylor

There is a plan to have an Elio store in Salt Lake City.
( https://www.eliomotors.com/find-us/#map )
Service will be handled through Pep Boys.
It looks like service and sales will be about 40 miles north of you.
For more information try Eliomotors.com.

Welcome to the forum.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
:welcome: Dragonz;
Looks like RU and Jeff covered the main points for you; or at least a really good spot to start.
As Jeff explained, we are not affiliated with Elio Motors but we seem to know a lot about the Elio from all of the contact we have had with them.
As they also covered we have a very diversified group of folks here; all age groups, parts of the country and talents.
The Search function for the forum is a great tool for finding almost anything; and if you can't find it there, feel free to jump into any active thread that's close to the topic and ask what's on your mind; but if you come up with the question that's never been addressed here (which is hard to do), start a new thread. Ok, I've rambled on long enough; if you really get stuck on something, you can send Private Messages to someone by clicking on their name and in the box that opens, click "Start a conversation" But most of all, Enjoy yourself. :thumb: :triumphant:

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome. It has been greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to the Elio as it will be a wonderful vehicle for my college experience. I have several plans that I would make to the aesthetics of it and truly make it unique. Another question I have is with the production of the vehicle once it hits the market. I read that the will have factories within 7-10 hours of the stores, and will produce the vehicle once the stores close (about 9pm?) and work on them till midnight? If that is right, how will they be able to produce all the vehicles that are ordered to maintain the promise of the vehicle being ready by 10am the next day? To me, they would either need several large facilities, or have a way to make them extremely efficiently. Any word on this?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Thank you all for the warm welcome. It has been greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to the Elio as it will be a wonderful vehicle for my college experience. I have several plans that I would make to the aesthetics of it and truly make it unique. Another question I have is with the production of the vehicle once it hits the market. I read that the will have factories within 7-10 hours of the stores, and will produce the vehicle once the stores close (about 9pm?) and work on them till midnight? If that is right, how will they be able to produce all the vehicles that are ordered to maintain the promise of the vehicle being ready by 10am the next day? To me, they would either need several large facilities, or have a way to make them extremely efficiently. Any word on this?

You bet, again you can search on "marshalling center" in the upper right search box, but here's some info off the top of my memory...

You have alot of the information correct. There is one factory, it's in Shreveport, Lousiana. That factory will make 14 different types of Elio: 7 colors x 2 transmissions. Elio's plan is to have the ability to have a person show up at one of the stores, order their Elio. As well as color and transmission type, you can request your options that you want, whether it's 1 or many.

The marshalling centers (around 7-8 of them) will get the orders from the business day. Employees at the centers will get the order request, go grab one with the color and tranny, and the get busy installing the options. Then, again per Elio's plan, though it doesn't seem feasible for all requests, the options are installed and the vehicle gets loaded on a truck and shows up at the store where the customer ordered it by 10am the next day.

Some points of discussion that we've had on this:
  • if there's more than 3-4 simple options, will be difficult to get them installed in a few hours
  • can Elio Motors have enough of the 14 types of vehicles at each marshalling center, to satisfy all requests? Most likely, yes.
  • as production starts to ramp up, will all marshalling centers be up and running? Probably not, for what one can guess to be the first several weeks of production, the only marshalling center up and running would be in Shreveport, possibly at the plant
  • when will production start that will begin to fulfill current reservations? we have no idea. We do know that EM plans to build about 100 pre-production vehicles to be used (and we assume bought) by fleet customers, such as businesses and/or govt agencies, by the end of 2016

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
they're called "staging centers" the stop between the factory and the stores ( one near the factory, in Shreveport LA, and ironically where the Hummer's were built.). As you read the posts and Elio Motors' web site you'll see the planning, yes, right now the plan is to be able to order your E and delivered to the stores next day- there will be one store in Shreveport near the factory.
that remains a bit "fuzzy" now.

You are jumping in at a great time, as progress is measurable and real. There are folks here been waiting many years to see the recent progress unfold.

My slow typing speed has enabled Jeff to post ahead, he has great stuff to add.

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Alright, that all makes sense. I was a little worried about how they planned to disposition the vehicles. Knowing all this, I did some looking and I can't find what they plan to do if you would like to have your Elio custom painted. Also, do we have an area where we can price out the different options for the Elio to receive a rough estimate as to the final cost it would be the way we want it?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, that all makes sense. I was a little worried about how they planned to disposition the vehicles. Knowing all this, I did some looking and I can't find what they plan to do if you would like to have your Elio custom painted. Also, do we have an area where we can price out the different options for the Elio to receive a rough estimate as to the final cost it would be the way we want it?
Custom painting, or custom wrap is yours to find; the factory is not going to offer any color more than the 7 basic. The retail stores are where you will be able to go/see/touch the Elio and most likely test drive (nothing said about that yet, but it makes sense); you'll work with a sales person there, or you can go over to the kiosk and place your order; here you'll be able to pick options and see final pricing; once you're happy with your choices and price, you click "Order" and according to EM, you'll have it the next day. There was also talk about delivering it to your front door for an additional charge.
If you search through the Forum, you'll see that there have been some very long discussions about accessories for the Elio, some from the factory, most through aftermarket.

Top Bottom