• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Named For A Tunnel And A Mayor!! -- Is????

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A little known fact, when they were boring the Eisenhower tunnel their machine started to fail, they did a cost analysis and decided to bore off to the side and abandoned it. Brought in another machine and finished the job. It's still there today.
They do that with almost all of them once a job is done.
It's cost prohibitive to take it apart and try to use it somewhere else; each machine is designed for that specific job.
So they bury them on site. (If they have the space to do it)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just like a disposable shaver. Wonder if they come in a six-pack.
Or, as will soon be the case, disposable diaper, if I don't get my E!
They had a "race" of push cars to celebrate Big Birtha -I Found a storefront in Pioneer Sq.(downtown Settle) run by the contractor- to try and spread good will. The newspapers had reported, the drill bit struck a piece of metal fill which screwed it up. Actually, after passing that obstruction, 60' down the road- the bearings fried!!!
doesn't have a reverse, and can't get to the cutters from behind 'em- had to dig a shaft in front of the machine to gain access.
Did I hear lawsuits?? BIG TIME!! yea it was from Japan, a one and only, shipped in sections and assembled here. She's now back on the job.
As someone mentioned Earthquakes, lets not forget the same problem rebuilding the World Trade Center -too close to the water, and it too is leaking
did I forget to mention much of the shorefront is fill, and the vibrations have caused, and are causing older buildings to show cracks as the footings are being undermined.
Boston had "The Big Dig"
We got Birtha!!
Note: the tunnel is to remove an elevated section of Rt 99, to allow development of the waterfront, the tunnel will handle the same amount of, (already congested two lanes each direction of traffic)
The lawyers, developers and elected officials will come out smelling sweet, as the costs are piled onto the homeowners backs.
On an up note , a new section of Light Rail was recently opened, so it is now possible to take it from the airport into, and past downtown, up to the U of W (exit is at football stadium), the Pioneer Sq station is within walking distance of the professional stadiums- at least something's helping to reduce surface traffic!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Or, as will soon be the case, disposable diaper, if I don't get my E!
They had a "race" of push cars to celebrate Big Birtha -I Found a storefront in Pioneer Sq.(downtown Settle) run by the contractor- to try and spread good will. The newspapers had reported, the drill bit struck a piece of metal fill which screwed it up. Actually, after passing that obstruction, 60' down the road- the bearings fried!!!
doesn't have a reverse, and can't get to the cutters from behind 'em- had to dig a shaft in front of the machine to gain access.
Did I hear lawsuits?? BIG TIME!! yea it was from Japan, a one and only, shipped in sections and assembled here. She's now back on the job.
As someone mentioned Earthquakes, lets not forget the same problem rebuilding the World Trade Center -too close to the water, and it too is leaking
did I forget to mention much of the shorefront is fill, and the vibrations have caused, and are causing older buildings to show cracks as the footings are being undermined.
Boston had "The Big Dig"
We got Birtha!!
Note: the tunnel is to remove an elevated section of Rt 99, to allow development of the waterfront, the tunnel will handle the same amount of, (already congested two lanes each direction of traffic)
The lawyers, developers and elected officials will come out smelling sweet, as the costs are piled onto the homeowners backs.
On an up note , a new section of Light Rail was recently opened, so it is now possible to take it from the airport into, and past downtown, up to the U of W (exit is at football stadium), the Pioneer Sq station is within walking distance of the professional stadiums- at least something's helping to reduce surface traffic!!
They finally have a train there? About time; they have been fighting trains for the last 50 years; they did not want them. Their answer to mass transit was always "More Buses" and the Bus Tunnel. More Buses simply put more vehicles on the road. They could never see that part.
99 is 3 lanes through most of downtown; I know, I used to live in West Seattle and took 99 almost every day; never took I-5.
I was in West Seattle while they were building the bridge; 5 1/2 years of detours; going to work downtown was an adventure every Monday, you never knew which way you were going to have to go.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a very cool video on the new Hwy. 99 Tunnel they're digging through downtown Seattle
They fly a drone through it and tell you about the different parts on the way (I'm such a geek, but this is SO COOL!!)
Plus I used to live in West Seattle and I drove the old viaduct at least twice a day if not more.

If you fast forward to 3:00, you're at the tail end of the Tunnel boring machine

Reactions: Ty
Top Bottom