• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Velomobile

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same way a bicyle can cost over 10k. My last bicycle cost over 5k, why becuase it is made of carbon fiber, electric shifting and weighs in just under 15lbs. I also spent more money on a power meter so that brings the cost to lost the price of the Elio. I know when I had my last car I would load up my bike and a friend's bike the value of the bikes would be 3 to 4 times that of the car. Just becuase it doesn't have a motor doesn't mean it I cheap.

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
20141019_143706.jpg
Yep about 6k into my yeti.

Last edited:

Jimm

Reaction score
It can cost that much because they are still largely hand-made by small companies of maybe 3-6 employees (actual builders, not any other staff), using glass-fiber molds, welding, bike mechanic skills, etc. The Leitra - the oldest production velomobile (1980's), has only built around 200 since the start, as they are mostly built by one man, Carl Georg Rasmussen, who is currently in his 70's.

And since even the most popular velomobile, the Quest, with it's two locations, can only build about a dozen per year on average (if I recall... they might be faster now), it takes lots of time and resources, currently. Ergo big price tag. Once the Asians grab one and reverse engineer it.. or someone like Toyota or Ford get involved, then you'll see the price come down due to mass production savings.

Top Bottom