• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Webcam Inside The Shreveport Plant

Hawk521

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Surely by now things are beginning to happen inside the Shreveport plant in preparation for production later this year. Yes, I know it all doesn't happen over night, but that is my point exactly...

It would be so sweet if Paul Elio would authorize his team to install a few webcams to give us a chance to see things happen.

A webcam like this was setup a dozen years ago when Carter Finley football stadium at NC State was being renovated and expanded. The webcam was viewable from the internet and proved to be very interesting to see some week by week progress on the project right before your own eyes. I for one would love to see this happen. It doesn't cost much these days and requires no ongoing manpower to facilitate it. Initial outlay might be a few grand, with ongoing cost for an internet connection (which does not necessarily have be dedicated to this task.)

Cameras setup to do time lapse pictures that could be posted for Elio enthusiasts would be almost as good.

What say ye? Can we get this done? It might quiet some of the concerns tossed about as to whether there is indeed anything progressing inside the plant.

-Hawk521

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Paul would go for it. Not that I wouldn't like to see what's going on also, but it's a non-gainer for Elio. Right now they have no cams, and the negative impact to them is zero. If they installed cams, there would probably be YouTube video of every person in the plant who dropped something, tripped, slipped, ripped their pants, picked their nose, or scratched their ass. Not to mention a full documentary of EVERY thing that might go wrong in the entire build-out process, to be used against them at any time by anyone.
Sorry... what was the upside for Elio?

Hawk521

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Paul would go for it. Not that I wouldn't like to see what's going on also, but it's a non-gainer for Elio. Right now they have no cams, and the negative impact to them is zero. If they installed cams, there would probably be YouTube video of every person in the plant who dropped something, tripped, slipped, ripped their pants, picked their nose, or scratched their ass. Not to mention a full documentary of EVERY thing that might go wrong in the entire build-out process, to be used against them at any time by anyone.
Sorry... what was the upside for Elio?

Seriously? You go negative on this simple suggestion? That surprises me. To each his own... FWIW, I watched live camera feeds showing the two year renovation of Carter Finley stadium and do not recall even once something negative coming from that. I even had the live feed setup as my Windows background on my computer at work. Because it was a project that I had donated to, and one in which the details of the renovation were not widely known - it was splendid to watch it unfold a little bit each day or week.

Personally, I think the upside would be to solidify credibility for those who have forked over thousands of dollars on a somewhat vague promise. To see evidence (it doesn't have to be live video, some time lapse pictures would do just fine) that the plant is being readied for production would certainly be welcome by many of us. And I would expect Paul Elio might well agree.

If Mr Elio can justify building prototypes (which certainly have flaws of their own) and promote them at events around the country as representative of progress - then how could some pictures of the actual progress be a negative?

Dang - it seems a bit pessimistic to suggest that allowing the public to see a little bit behind the curtain would ruin things... but hey - maybe you're right. I however, would appreciate seeing evidence of progress. It would help offset the nay-sayers within the media who do not share our blind faith! :)

Just my $.02 worth.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seriously? You go negative on this simple suggestion? That surprises me. To each his own... FWIW, I watched live camera feeds showing the two year renovation of Carter Finley stadium and do not recall even once something negative coming from that. I even had the live feed setup as my Windows background on my computer at work. Because it was a project that I had donated to, and one in which the details of the renovation were not widely known - it was splendid to watch it unfold a little bit each day or week.

Personally, I think the upside would be to solidify credibility for those who have forked over thousands of dollars on a somewhat vague promise. To see evidence (it doesn't have to be live video, some time lapse pictures would do just fine) that the plant is being readied for production would certainly be welcome by many of us. And I would expect Paul Elio might well agree.

If Mr Elio can justify building prototypes (which certainly have flaws of their own) and promote them at events around the country as representative of progress - then how could some pictures of the actual progress be a negative?

Dang - it seems a bit pessimistic to suggest that allowing the public to see a little bit behind the curtain would ruin things... but hey - maybe you're right. I however, would appreciate seeing evidence of progress. It would help offset the nay-sayers within the media who do not share our blind faith! :)

Just my $.02 worth.
NEGATIVE?! PESSIMISTIC?! I'm not a pessimist! My mom had me tested. All the tests show I'm PRAGMATIC. (Really, they do.).
Everything is a risk/benefit assessment when it comes to this sort of thing. There has to be enough upside to justify the potential risk involved. Keeping in mind, I would love to see such a video feed too, I am just expressing some doubt that generating warm fuzzy feelings in people who's money they already have, is likely worth the risk involved in placing the entire operation on display. Any strategic faux-pas could be easily turned into ammo by the same nay-Sayers and negative press agents who's proverbial faces you'd like to rub in the video evidence of foreward-marching progress. The idea of some nice time-lapsed photography WOULD certainly resolve those drawbacks for the most part, though someone would have to edit the frames for any un-flattering content. So it's a rather complex calculation, even though it seems like a simple proposition.
Then there is always the ever-looming possibility that maybe there really IS not much to see there, and revealing that publicly would be disastrous PR all around. Can they pull it off on the current schedule, having come up short before? Only time will tell.

Top Bottom