• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Age Buyers?

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems the commuter Elio would most likely appeal to the working demographic......not old retired geezers......or as Paul Elio stated "old and affluent". Perhaps the working class Future Elio Owner's haven't had the time to find their website................too busy at work. It will ultimately appeal to a wide range demographic when they see ours on the roads soon.

My first car was a'59 VW Beetle...........one of my last an Elio......Das Autocycle!

Agree. I just turned 34 and my career is just starting to REALLY take off. I'm buying the Elio just to have a commuter car to the office so I can save gas and keep miles off my other vehicles. When I first started following the Elio, I had never imagined the older crowd even caring about them. I imagined them either going for Corvettes, Cadillacs or maybe a traditional hybrid... not an Elio. Very cool to see it appealing to all crowds and for a variety of reasons. I do believe that once they are on the roads and the younger crowds see them and figure out how cheap they are, they will catch on like crazy.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree. I just turned 34 and my career is just starting to REALLY take off. I'm buying the Elio just to have a commuter car to the office so I can save gas and keep miles off my other vehicles. When I first started following the Elio, I had never imagined the older crowd even caring about them. I imagined them either going for Corvettes, Cadillacs or maybe a traditional hybrid... not an Elio. Very cool to see it appealing to all crowds and for a variety of reasons. I do believe that once they are on the roads and the younger crowds see them and figure out how cheap they are, they will catch on like crazy.
NOT "CHEAP", INEXPENSIVE!!!!

KC_Cacti

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!! I am so excited to get one of these! My wife and will be both using it as a commuter csr. I work weekdays and she works weekend so this thing will be getting some miles on it! Eager to see what my number is. I had put $100 down a while back but just recently forked over the other $900.

Nitro

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that when folks start seeing them on the road and asking questions that it will open up to more and more people... But as it stands my money is on the 30+ croud (is the above data supports)

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Interesting distribution. I would have expected this to be big with a younger crowd. That's obviously not the case. Now I wonder why.
People 50+ remember full well the gas lines of the 70's, maybe that's a factor? Maybe we are just getting a bit too old to ride in 40 degree weather on an open bike? Maybe more safety conscious? I see another poll coming on....
Count me as one of those to old or maybe wise to ride in 40 degree weather. Have become a fair weather rider in my old age but have rode through Yosemite with snow on the ground and across Wolfcreek pass below freezing in my youth.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It's hardly a surprise that only one segment of the Elio's intrinsic buyer pool would show up
here online - mostly those who view the car as either a commuter vehicle or retirees who
are singles or just a couple - almost all of these folks will be paying cash for the car. And
for them a year plus wait is not a factor. From the comments on this forum, it's obvious that
only the young seem to be really anxious and full of crazy skeptical beliefs. That lower income
segment that will benefit most from the car, will only earnabout it when they encounter them
on the street and/or one of their members buys and spreads the word, especially the no-down-payment
option that will be important mostly to only this group.
There is a third major buyer group, the young who are not primarily attracted by the economy, but will
be very attracted when Elio stats installing turboed engines into the car which, combined with
exterior options, will morph the vehicle into a modern day version of the small block Chevy,
including a really neat next wave appearance.
Down the road I see another buyer group - the enviro folks, especially if the Elio provides an
electric version. At this time, andprobably for some indeterminate time into the future, I see the Elio
as the only vehicle that can even be remotely practical as an electric and competitive with gas powered
cars' driving ranges. The reason electrics have failed is because the amount of energy a reasonably
priced battery pack can hold is simply not enough to compete with respect to driving ranges. Here the
Elio has an enormous advantage over the 4000 pound Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf. By my estimations,
an electric Elio should obtain roughly 10 miles per kWhr, both city and highway.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know the Volt is not an electric car, right? It's a PHEV that gets 380 miles on a tank of gas. And that the Tesla, while not "practical" for 90% of the population due to cost, does not have range problems at 300 miles/charge and is by any accounting a profitable success?

I think the "green" people will come on board faster than you think. With the light weight, outstanding MPG, and lack of toxic-metal exotic battery and no use of coal-generated electricity, the Elio is "greener" than any Pious could hope to be.

I do not think we will see an electric Elio in the near future. Or ever if Paul is as smart as I think he is. It would destroy two of the Elio's four fundamental advantages: Low cost and light weight. Batteries of sufficient capacity are either very heavy or very, very expensive. Take your pick. The tandem layout leaves very little room for battery packs. Consider the entire floor of the Telsa is a giant, expensive, exotic battery pack. Despite using the lightest battery material available - lithium - the Tesla still tips the scales at a Bentley-esque 2-1/4 tons! More than 3.5 times the weight of an Elio.

Top Bottom