• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Color Elio Are You Getting?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The relationship between transmissive light and reflected light -- screen vs. paper (or plastic body panels, for that matter) gives me heartburn every time I print. Even emulating the paper in Photoshop doesn't really cut it. So for fine art and restoration work alike, I make test prints and adjust. Theoretically this isn't necessary, but in reality -- you bet it is.
I once had a client who wanted their purple letter head printed on-site, so she shows me the problem, on screen it looked purple, on paper it was blue, after some argument over how inept I was at making this happen, I asked one of her coworkers to pull up the document and amazingly on her screen it looked blue!, so from that point on they used this one system to print letterhead because the display and the printer were pretty close in color. As I left they still didn't get it and blamed the printer.. HP color LaserJet 4550, god those were awful beasts...

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I once had a client who wanted their purple letter head printed on-site, so she shows me the problem, on screen it looked purple, on paper it was blue, after some argument over how inept I was at making this happen, I asked one of her coworkers to pull up the document and amazingly on her screen it looked blue!, so from that point on they used this one system to print letterhead because the display and the printer were pretty close in color. As I left they still didn't get it and blamed the printer.. HP color LaserJet 4550, god those were awful beasts...
I calibrate my monitor every 2-3 weeks and STILL have mismatches with my HPz3200. Grrr.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like both Red and Yellow, because those colors would be most visible, esp. at night.

But in the end, I'd probably go with Cotton Candy Pink with a big ol' "Happy Bunny" stenciled on the front hood. No self-respecting car thief would dare touch it.

Actually, Red in not very visible at night.
Some years ago a study was done on emergency vehicles and they determined that the most visible color for any condition was "lime yellow". That was why, for a while we saw a bunch of greenish yellow and white fire trucks.
Anyway, here's a chart -------
coneResponse.png

Hope it's helpful.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is also why 16-bit computer graphics have 5 bits of red, 5 bits of blue, and 6 bits of green. The human eye sees green better, so is better able to make use of the extra color depth for the green.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I calibrate my monitor every 2-3 weeks and STILL have mismatches with my HPz3200. Grrr.
:becky: I should invite you over to calibrate mine; I run 3 side by side and they were taken out of the box, set up the desk, turned on, and never touched since then. As long as the color looks good, I'm fine with it. But these aren't El Cheapo monitors either, they are top of the line Dell Pro View Ultra Sharps so they were calibrated before I got them with tools I've never dreamed of owning.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Color calibration on a monitor is of only marginal use unless the entire computer is calibrated as a set. This includes: Monitors, video cards, connecting cables, interface type, drivers, operating system, etc. Change any one of those items and the entire calibration is thrown off. Let's say you have the entire set hooked up calibrated via HDMI, then switch out the cable to connect it via Display Port instead. You've just thrown the entire calibration out the window.

Having said that, the only people that really need to worry about calibrated displays are those that routinely work with printed material. And these people also have to take their printing setup into account. It's a big mess. That's why things like Pantone were invented. It let just specify a particular Pantone color, and leave the rest up to the professional printers.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:becky: I should invite you over to calibrate mine; I run 3 side by side and they were taken out of the box, set up the desk, turned on, and never touched since then. As long as the color looks good, I'm fine with it. But these aren't El Cheapo monitors either, they are top of the line Dell Pro View Ultra Sharps so they were calibrated before I got them with tools I've never dreamed of owning.
The trouble is, monitors change over time. The only monitors I know that can reliably self-calibrate are made by Eizo and cost a couple of grand.

Unfortunately, I do color-critical work and have to fuss with this stuff, and you are so right -- it's a big mess! Bowers little story of the gal who couldn't get what she saw on screen out of her paper is sad -- because she didn't believe the evidence that her monitor was out of whack, not the printer.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned this before..... I saw a Mustang today that gave me an idea. I wonder what it would look like if you could get an Elio in one color but with a different color hood, fenders and rear hatch? Please, be nice! :p

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned this before..... I saw a Mustang today that gave me an idea. I wonder what it would look like if you could get an Elio in one color but with a different color hood, fenders and rear hatch? Please, be nice! :p

You might want to go over to ElioMotors FB and ask a guy named Silas Sunday?

Last edited:
Top Bottom