• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What If It Had A Bigger Trunk?

RogWild

Elio Addict
I really like the p4, and it appears the body is relatively set. Just seems, if the aero difference is minimal, a little extra height there would be a positive in many ways. Utility, aesthetic, roof cargo options....
Raising the roof line would leave a larger 'dead space' in the rear of the vehicle, and greatly increase DRAG. The current 'Kammback' aerodynamic rear style would be compromised because; “According to the classic definition the tail should be cut off where it has tapered to approximately 50% of the car's maximum cross section “.

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Raising the roof line would leave a larger 'dead space' in the rear of the vehicle, and greatly increase DRAG. The current 'Kammback' aerodynamic rear style would be compromised because; “According to the classic definition the tail should be cut off where it has tapered to approximately 50% of the car's maximum cross section “.
I get that this vehicle is a study of kammtails. However, the 50% you cite assumes symmetry. In this case, I'm not sure how the asymmetrical cross section effects that number. It could be that the ideal is 25% down on the top, instead of the full 50% reduction occurring on just one side of the cross section.

Anyway, wind tunnel testing would be of primary importance, and with the explosion of tunnels available, I'm very surprised I haven't read anything about prototype development being supported by a modeling confirmation tunnel session. Anyone found any mention of the aero design development process?

We were talking about a bigger truck and still keeping to aerodynamics. Also as a Can-am Spyder rider brake lights are needed on the fenders. Trust me, people look past the back and focus on the front wheels. How well here is a view before P4.
&temp_hash=6eb2eebfc14943a2a17af7c37205b659.jpg
Now it looks more like a station wagon... But I agree 100% with the lights on the fenders.

NRB

Elio Addict
Stop screwing with the design! The P-4 is great as is and represents months of tweaking and drag checks. You want more cargo space , buy a pick-up! Lets get this thing into production before some of us die of old age!! RB

NRB

Elio Addict
You are right on , but looking back, a four point roll in later years will result in tossing your cookies big time most likely!