• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is A Rolling Launch?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A Rolling Launch is when you launch repeatedly. A Rolling Launch allows you to do almost everything you would do in a "regular" launch with considerably fewer hassles. Using the Rolling Launch model, you can avoid some of the troubles you face when running a launch only one time such as your merchant account being shut down due to a one time abnormal spike in sales, not having the right offer, or experiencing technical or external factors that cause problems with your launch. A Rolling Launch gives you cash flow, allows you to constantly tweak your offering, test and grow your conversion rates each time you launch.

Em will stay in this phase of marketing till the car rolls off the assembly line when ever.
Then they will switch to a phase called a "Roll Out".
This along with word of mouth marketing, is the least expensive way to go.
Word of mouth marketing is like when you get 250 business cards with EM information on it and go down to your local big 3 car dealership and pass them out. :rolleyes:

Em's main goal, I believe at this time, is to get as many people they can to learn of the cars existence prior to roll out.

Wither you love it, like it, or could leave it, is not a priority at this point.
That would explain the quality of the prototypes on the road today.

It is not cost effective, nor is it in the best interest of EM to spend time and money trying to keep people satisfied and committed to a product that does not exist at this point in time.

If you love it or like it now, you will most likely love it or like it in the end, one way or the other, and that is what EM is counting on.

Just take what information you get beyond the standard release, (MPG, 5 star, $6,800) and be happy. JMO

Last edited:

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I would think, these days, that "word of mouth" marketing was really more word of Facebook, word of Twitter, word of Etc. If I was staffing up a company that was dependent on attracting investment and consumer awareness, the first person I'd hire these days would be an "Evangelist" (to use old Apple terminology) charged with doing nothing but pushing messages out using as many different avenues as possible, and also charged with keeping people excited and invested in the project.

Obviously, EM has done some of this, with their blog, occasional tweets, and email postings. But (and again, this is just what I'd do if it was Mark's Company instead of Paul's) I'd let people more inside. Make everyone aware of the challenges, the deals in the works, even the setbacks. Elio has done so many things in a transformative way, but their communication is still on the "work behind the scenes then come up with an announcement" model. I think they'd be well advised to tug back the curtain. In fact, drop it altogether. Enlist those of us already on-board and entice those who are simply interested. Treat it like a good Kickstarter project, where the path to getting the product in someone's hands is just as exciting as the goal. There is no such thing as too much transparency.

They're building a 21st century vehicle, and they've developed a 21st century approach to sourcing and development, but their outreach is often a century behind.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rolling launch is a good idea, but it dooms your service department to following up on countless service bulletins to fix problems that become apparent over the first few months. Whatever revenue you make during that rolling launch may be consumed by "warranty work", the bane of a manufacturer's existence. But in addition to service, some automakers bump their heads on problems with success. Notably GM when introducing the Buick Reatta was offering a "hand-built" car, assembled by teams of workers rather than a full assembly line. That worked fine, except they quickly found that they couldn't approach the production levels required to make "hand building" economically feasible. Well, that and "coach-building" a modern automobile they found to be a real struggle. Bricklin, DeLorean, Pantera, even Aptera went down that same road, unable to build a "boutique" car in volume.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think, these days, that "word of mouth" marketing was really more word of Facebook, word of Twitter, word of Etc. If I was staffing up a company that was dependent on attracting investment and consumer awareness, the first person I'd hire these days would be an "Evangelist" (to use old Apple terminology) charged with doing nothing but pushing messages out using as many different avenues as possible, and also charged with keeping people excited and invested in the project.

Obviously, EM has done some of this, with their blog, occasional tweets, and email postings. But (and again, this is just what I'd do if it was Mark's Company instead of Paul's) I'd let people more inside. Make everyone aware of the challenges, the deals in the works, even the setbacks. Elio has done so many things in a transformative way, but their communication is still on the "work behind the scenes then come up with an announcement" model. I think they'd be well advised to tug back the curtain. In fact, drop it altogether. Enlist those of us already on-board and entice those who are simply interested. Treat it like a good Kickstarter project, where the path to getting the product in someone's hands is just as exciting as the goal. There is no such thing as too much transparency.

They're building a 21st century vehicle, and they've developed a 21st century approach to sourcing and development, but their outreach is often a century behind.

I think being completely open is a nice goal but in the real world there are a number of issues with that idea which makes it very difficult to do.

People in general do not appear to do a good job of grasping the idea that everything Elio Motors is doing is a concept which they are in the process of refining into something that works in the real world so delays and changes in the plan are to be expected. When they have been honest about their plans and then those plans have changed it has repeatedly caused them a huge backlash via social media which then works to hinder their marketing goals. As a natural reaction to this they moved to trying to control information as much as possible. This issue is not contained to Elio Motors and if you read the last couple of paragraphs of this link you will find another company which has recently faced this very same issue: http://blog.soylent.me/post/85961912242/soylent-shipping-update-5-16.

Another major issue which Elio Motors has faced which keeps things behind closed doors is non disclosure agreements which are a standard business tool however they also serve to limit access to some information and even hinder the release of information which is derivative from the information which is protected. Case in the point is the real story behind what was happening with the Shreveport plant and how this even caused a delay in millions of dollars in funding. We only became aware of the full extent of what was happening with the Shreveport plant and how it affected Elio Motors this month because Elio's gag was lifted. The Shreveport news was good in that it worked out in Elio's favor but all the outside interference pushed back the date the lease became effective which led directly to a delay in funding which was tied to that lease going into effect.
I am sure Elio Motors also has other NDA's they are under relating to various matters which will continue to limit what they can say about other aspects of this project moving forward.

Last edited:

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
*SNIP*

Make everyone aware of the challenges, the deals in the works, even the setbacks. Elio has done so many things in a transformative way, but their communication is still on the "work behind the scenes then come up with an announcement" model. I think they'd be well advised to tug back the curtain. In fact, drop it altogether. Enlist those of us already on-board and entice those who are simply interested. Treat it like a good Kickstarter project, where the path to getting the product in someone's hands is just as exciting as the goal. There is no such thing as too much transparency.

ding ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner. Agree 1000 percent.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ding ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner. Agree 1000 percent.
Snick, are you all in? If so, are you telling me if EM doesn't do what Devilstower suggested you are not going to take possession of the car?

It is my belief that baring any financial encounters, all most all the people that are all in, will take possession of the car if it comes to fruition wither EM does what Devilstower wants them to do or not. JMO

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rolling launch is a good idea, but it dooms your service department to following up on countless service bulletins to fix problems that become apparent over the first few months.

The rolling launch is a good idea, but it dooms your service department to following up on countless service bulletins to fix problems that become apparent over the first few months. Whatever revenue you make during that rolling launch may be consumed by "warranty work", the bane of a manufacturer's existence.

Perhaps you missed the part where I stated:
Em will stay in this phase of marketing till the car rolls off the assembly line when ever.

Then they will switch to a phase called a "Roll Out".
After the roll out and you have a product to sell, all marketing is done under the big thumb of the Sales Department. Only after an actual product is on the market then some of what you said will be true, only it will not be taking place under a rolling launch environment.

But in addition to service, some automakers bump their heads on problems with success. Notably GM when introducing the Buick Regatta was offering a "hand-built" car, assembled by teams of workers rather than a full assembly line. That worked fine, except they quickly found that they couldn't approach the production levels required to make "hand building" economically feasible.

JMO. That was do to a complete failure of the number one rule all business is driven by and that's Supply and Demand. Supply and Demand is a knife that cuts both ways. I own a home business that manufactures a handmade custom product. My present operation can handle 100 items a day, however that is not sustainable with out me having a stroke or physical breakdown. When my sales starts to reach 50% of maximum output I will start adding 50 cents to a dollar once and awhile till sales start to slow down. It sounds to me, if GM would have added 4 or 5K to the car and slowed sales while keeping up margins, it would have worked out better for them.
If your factory can only make four cars a month and your sales are eight cars a month and you increase the price of the car what ever it takes to cut sales in half, you are still making the same money each month plus what ever your increase was to the car and everyone is getting their car in a timely manor. This will only sustain your business at it's present state.

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion. I'm in no way implying I can run a car company, "But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express hotel last night".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think Elio has and is making people aware of challenges, deals, and even setbacks.......and when they make such an announcement some fans become disappointed and begin to speculate.

Elio has to meet with his Team in a room to discuss private legal issues, make decisions, and ultimately release and share information to the people excited about and invested in their project......it is Elio's Elio after all..........let him build it. Too his credit, he is listening to the fan base. The only thing they could do differently would be to do a reality TV show with live camera feeds in Elio's home, office, manufacturing plant, and a roving camera to follow him around when he's on the move.......24 Hour ELIO TV. I've been following Elio's progress for 5 + years and Elio is doing just fine keeping the fan base informed. IMHO

Honestly, I didn't think it would happen because most new car company startups can not rally the support, and financing together for a manufacturing facility let alone a solid fan base long with thousands of pre-orders. I believed Elio would happen only after the major announcement of locking in the former GM Plant. Yep, enjoy the pre-production ride.....be supportive.....and positive.....so we can all enjoy a post production ride.

Top Bottom