• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Asking as a complete noob: this tooling of which you speak... Are these items that have to be cast, forged, molded, beaten, or lathed to be created (i.e., from scratch)? Since the Elio is supposed to use over 90% American-made parts, can they be purchased from a major auto supply company? Are they items that will wear down and need regular replacement, or is it more of a one-off deal and hope you never loose one in your pocket while you're fishing?
No. Shreveport was mostly assembly stations and some robotic stations like the one that puts on the windshield and puts the adhesive on it. There were some robotic welders that would have to be programmed. Engine, frame, transmission, and axle (not necessary for the Elio) were all "assist" stations where a person had what amounted to handlebars with a few controls but for the most part the person guided everything onto the jigs.

The "soft" forms for the frame and body parts are already built and have been in use. Elio can make a bunch of copies off of those while those are translated into more permanent forms. All in all, Elio could be producing in the Shreveport plant VERY soon if they had engines, transmissions, frames, and bodies brought in. Of course, all parts will be brought in but eventually, the bodies, frames, and engines will be made in-house.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't advertise my lemonade for years with missed estimated delivery dates and tv commercials all over the country over and over, until I had some sugar lined out, although good point of view ty. I get narrow minded and this was my tunnel vision if you build it they will come...in mass numbers, I believe reservations are slowing because of skepticism, thanks for your thought ty.
I definitely agree that (in hindsight), it was horrible of Paul Elio to keep announcing production times though I think he was always careful to make them "projected" dates. Some of the delays were beyond his control and several things led to further delays...

While there were several unforeseen events and some were decisions made to make the Elio better, here's my first stab at delay causes:

1. The delay with renting the GM plant led to a lot of frustration and misinformation that persists even to today. I just saw an article about how Elio won't get the plant. Hint: They have it.
2. The switch from tubular to stamped steel frame.
3. The switch from SMC to steel body.
4. ATMV Loan process
5. Fuel tank switch to port fill vs. starboard fill
6. Exclusion of the Sunflower paint color.
7. Switch from Leer to Hyundai for seating.
8. Switch from Continental to MTX for audio.
9. Addition of cruise control without raising price.
10. Addition of tilt steering without raising price.

All those weren't delays and I know there are delays I didn't mention.

Just don't blame delays on the roadshow (not saying you did but I've seen people here do it). It isn't like the show people are building Elios when they aren't at the show. Those people won't be building them nor have they been. We are talking about two completely different entities... Show people and Development people. This is probably also why they aren't always on the same page when they answer questions.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely agree that (in hindsight), it was horrible of Paul Elio to keep announcing production times though I think he was always careful to make them "projected" dates. Some of the delays were beyond his control and several things led to further delays...

While there were several unforeseen events and some were decisions made to make the Elio better, here's my first stab at delay causes:

1. The delay with renting the GM plant led to a lot of frustration and misinformation that persists even to today. I just saw an article about how Elio won't get the plant. Hint: They have it.
2. The switch from tubular to stamped steel frame.
3. The switch from SMC to steel body.
4. ATMV Loan process
5. Fuel tank switch to port fill vs. starboard fill
6. Exclusion of the Sunflower paint color.
7. Switch from Leer to Hyundai for seating.
8. Switch from Continental to MTX for audio.
9. Addition of cruise control without raising price.
10. Addition of tilt steering without raising price.

All those weren't delays and I know there are delays I didn't mention.

Just don't blame delays on the roadshow (not saying you did but I've seen people here do it). It isn't like the show people are building Elios when they aren't at the show. Those people won't be building them nor have they been. We are talking about two completely different entities... Show people and Development people. This is probably also why they aren't always on the same page when they answer questions.
Ty, body panels are still SMC; only the frame has changed to formed steel unibody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom