• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Your Favorite Sifi Book?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card (Makes a lot more sense than the movie did)
"The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (Interesting take on finding an Alien race and how they couldn't find us)
"Ring World" by Larry Niven
"Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven (life after comet hits the earth... not really in the Sci-Fi realm so sue me.)

... I forgot my 2 cents.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (Interesting take on finding an Alien race and how they couldn't find us)
"Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven (life after comet hits the earth... not really in the Sci-Fi realm so sue me.)

... I forgot my 2 cents.

Ender's Game is one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed the movie, but changing it from 1 invasion to 2 made the military look much more paranoid than they were in the book. *shrug*

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Heinlein, Farnhams Freehold. It made a lasting impression on a 12 year old so that years later we named our home school Farnham Memorial, the seventh home school in the Commonwealth. Can't recall if it was Heinlien, Clark or whomever said, he didn't write science fiction, it was future history.
I remember reading that book. When the Africans came to Farnhams Freehold looking for slaves, that was a plot device I wasn't expecting.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to recommend Philip K. Dick's The Man In The High Castle. Video version available on Amazon:
"Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel and adapted by Frank Spotniz, The Man in the High Castle explores what it would be like if the Allied Powers had lost WWII, and Japan and Germany ruled the United States. Starring Rufus Sewell (John Adams), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars) and Alexa Davalos (Mob City). Executive produced by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner)."

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

... I forgot my 2 cents.
Loved Lucifer's Hammer, the ultimate doomsday prepper book...complete with megatsunami surfing through L.A.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are so many to list and quite a few of my favorites have already been mentioned.

As on a darkling plain by Bova. A mix of SF and mythology.
Beyond the blue event horizon by Pohl. The series wasn't as captivating.
The forever war by Haldeman.
Armor by Steakley. I am not a Steakley fan, but this one I've returned to many times.
The last dancer by Moran. Again, the series was worth reading, but not as interesting as this one book.
The moon is a harsh mistress by Heinlein.

... and you never forget your first: Foundation by Asimov. A tough read for 18-year old me, but I got through it and haven't stopped reading since.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember Armor, too. Read that one a long time ago. Pretty good, IIRC.

Pohl's stuff is interesting. Blue Event Horizon was really good. I like how he includes the "thought sequence" of the computer therapist. I thought it was pretty cool how the computer decides what name to use when addressing the patient. (Rob, Robby, Robinette, etc.) I agree that the follow-on books were nto quite a good, but still worth reading, IMO.

Forever War is definitely a great classic. Forever Peace was very good, too, but not a sequel to Forever War in any way.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are so many to list and quite a few of my favorites have already been mentioned.

As on a darkling plain by Bova. A mix of SF and mythology.
Beyond the blue event horizon by Pohl. The series wasn't as captivating.
The forever war by Haldeman.
Armor by Steakley. I am not a Steakley fan, but this one I've returned to many times.
The last dancer by Moran. Again, the series was worth reading, but not as interesting as this one book.
The moon is a harsh mistress by Heinlein.

... and you never forget your first: Foundation by Asimov. A tough read for 18-year old me, but I got through it and haven't stopped reading since.
Agreed on Armor. Loved the three intertwined stories.

Top Bottom