• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Side Should The Door Be On?

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No.....just like it doesn't matter the side location of the gas cap. Let EM Design, Engineer, and Manufacture the Elio based on cost saving efficiency. All we need to do is buy it, drive it, have some fun, and save some money in the process. I'm thinking about all the fun customization options not doors and caps. What the heck do I know about vehicle design? Adopt and adapt.

Would you rather have more endless discussion on what side the fuel filler should be on?

I believe everyone here wants to get this vehicle into production asap and EM is working on that. Most of what we do here does not really affect Elio Motors in any way as they may stop in to read general commentary or see what is being said about a specific issue however they have their own schedule and they will keep to it no matter what we are discussing.

While we wait for the process to work itself through it does break things up to have discussions on topics other than the standard fare which just goes around and around endlessly.

Get in! Shut up! and DRIVE!! Oh wait we don't have it yet :D

Don Malone

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but I had to join just to ask this question. Since this car is Made in America and is primarily being driven in America , Why is not the door on the right side of the vehicle? It seems to me that it would be safer for the driver and the passenger to exit and enter on the curb side of the vehicle as opposed to stepping into traffic .

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since all cars made in the U.S. have their transmission levers on the right side, drivers are selecting the gear with their right hand. How are you going to put a door where the gear lever goes? If you want a door on the right side then it would force the shift lever to the left. If that happened boy would you hear the howling and complaining - and rightly so. In this vehicle the door can ONLY be on the left side.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am new to this forum but I had to join just to ask this question. Since this car is Made in America and is primarily being driven in America , Why is not the door on the right side of the vehicle? It seems to me that it would be safer for the driver and the passenger to exit and enter on the curb side of the vehicle as opposed to stepping into traffic .
Hi and welcome to the forum. Don! Its a great question, but I think the others are correct is saying because we Americans are used to all the gear shifts and other accessories alredy being on the right hand side. But, I think with the car sitting in the middle, set off from the front fender, there will be plenty of room to exit without getting in harms way.

Top Bottom