• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What's The Hold-up?

pete.d

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm concerned that while nothing has been said about the cause(s) of the constantly changing delivery estimates, Elio is promoting the $1000 "all in" option more aggressively every month.

I had originally elected the $100 "all in" option when I first heard about the car over a year ago. At that time the first delivery was estimated for early 2014; about a year wait. I initially decided I would increase my deposit as the project progressed and I gained confidence in Elio's ability to deliver as advertised. Then the delivery schedule began changing constantly, so a year an a half later I still have over a year to wait. Will this trend continue indefinitely, and will we ever get our Elios?

I fully understand that there are usually delays in starting up any production as complex as an Elio, but it's maddening that the more the delivery date is pushed out, the more the PR guys push existing reservation holders to commit more money. I've seen this pattern before, and it's certainly convinced me NOT to increase my deposit at this time.

It's time to take a break with the hype, and start accounting for the delays. All major manufacturers and government contractors eventually pause to examine the issues of a project (typically at a "Critical Design Review", with full participation of the customer), so how about it Elio?

Pete

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm concerned that while nothing has been said about the cause(s) of the constantly changing delivery estimates, Elio is promoting the $1000 "all in" option more aggressively every month.

I had originally elected the $100 "all in" option when I first heard about the car over a year ago. At that time the first delivery was estimated for early 2014; about a year wait. I initially decided I would increase my deposit as the project progressed and I gained confidence in Elio's ability to deliver as advertised. Then the delivery schedule began changing constantly, so a year an a half later I still have over a year to wait. Will this trend continue indefinitely, and will we ever get our Elios?

I fully understand that there are usually delays in starting up any production as complex as an Elio, but it's maddening that the more the delivery date is pushed out, the more the PR guys push existing reservation holders to commit more money. I've seen this pattern before, and it's certainly convinced me NOT to increase my deposit at this time.

It's time to take a break with the hype, and start accounting for the delays. All major manufacturers and government contractors eventually pause to examine the issues of a project (typically at a "Critical Design Review", with full participation of the customer), so how about it Elio?

Pete
Pete, I can understand your frustration but your post also tells me you have not been keeping up with Elio Motors. There have been so many posts on this subject I wouldn't even know where to start. Periodically we get people like you who are blowing steam because things are not progressing as they think they should. Frankly they usually eventually move back into the woodwork because there is more than enough information to show they are wrong. If you are serious about the Elio and not simply stirring the pot, then I suggest you start reading. The search function will definitely help out for specific topics. There are very knowledgeable people in this group who are more than willing to answer questions from people who are sincere in their desire to learn what is going on. We are generally a very friendly group but we are also very enthusiastic about the Elio. Everyone reserves at the level they are comfortable with. Marketing is all part of what helps bring more people to EM. More people reserving Elios means more clout. I, for one, think the Elio is well worth the risk. :-) Zelio #6011 (Z)

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Pete
WELCOME to the Elio Family Forum. . . . . , from the Bayou State, Louisiana.

Sorry for your wait time. . . . , guess we ALL are getting a healthy dose of that. . . . . , just seems to be a little harder on some of us. :confused:

pete.d

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Pete, I can understand your frustration but your post also tells me you have not been keeping up with Elio Motors. There have been so many posts on this subject I wouldn't even know where to start. Periodically we get people like you who are blowing steam because things are not progressing as they think they should. Frankly they usually eventually move back into the woodwork because there is more than enough information to show they are wrong. If you are serious about the Elio and not simply stirring the pot, then I suggest you start reading. The search function will definitely help out for specific topics. There are very knowledgeable people in this group who are more than willing to answer questions from people who are sincere in their desire to learn what is going on. We are generally a very friendly group but we are also very enthusiastic about the Elio. Everyone reserves at the level they are comfortable with. Marketing is all part of what helps bring more people to EM. More people reserving Elios means more clout. I, for one, think the Elio is well worth the risk. :) Zelio #6011 (Z)

Thanks for your reply, Zelio. Indeed I'm very sincere, and do believe the Elio is worth the risk; after all, I've put down $100. I'm not even really frustrated, but I do get aggravated when I'm bombarded with more promotion without explanation of the delays. I'm not even really questioning the integrity of the company; I just don't appreciate the heavy-handed emphasis on expanding the deposit, even while I do understand the need to generate interest. I did see the car when it was exhibited here in Syracuse; it looked and felt great even though the engine block was only a plastic model. Note, by "nothing has been said" I meant the new Elio Blog and other official Elio releases: I'm new to this forum, and I certainly have not had time to read all posts here. Most of my professional life has been in Engineering and Manufacturing (I've been to many Critical Design review meetings), so I'm genuinely curious about the cause for the inevitable delays. Several of my friends have asked me about the delays. I'm willing to dig in and find out though; where should I start?

And, YES, I'm also very enthusiastic. I love racing small cars, and I'm anxious to see for myself how the Elio handles when pushed hard into the corners. Little cars are cool; the great mileage, low cost and unique looks are bonuses.

One question; are there many forum participants who are actual members of the Elio organization?

Best Regards,
Pete

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Zelio. Indeed I'm very sincere, and do believe the Elio is worth the risk; after all, I've put down $100. I'm not even really frustrated, but I do get aggravated when I'm bombarded with more promotion without explanation of the delays. I'm not even really questioning the integrity of the company; I just don't appreciate the heavy-handed emphasis on expanding the deposit, even while I do understand the need to generate interest. I did see the car when it was exhibited here in Syracuse; it looked and felt great even though the engine block was only a plastic model. Note, by "nothing has been said" I meant the new Elio Blog and other official Elio releases: I'm new to this forum, and I certainly have not had time to read all posts here. Most of my professional life has been in Engineering and Manufacturing (I've been to many Critical Design review meetings), so I'm genuinely curious about the cause for the inevitable delays. Several of my friends have asked me about the delays. I'm willing to dig in and find out though; where should I start?

And, YES, I'm also very enthusiastic. I love racing small cars, and I'm anxious to see for myself how the Elio handles when pushed hard into the corners. Little cars are cool; the great mileage, low cost and unique looks are bonuses.

One question; are there many forum participants who are actual members of the Elio organization?

Best Regards,
Pete
The last question is the easiest to answer Pete. If forum participants are members of EM they hide it very well. We were actually discussing this earlier today. We know they have staff reading through the various Elio related but not Elio connected forums just to keep an eye on the pulse of customers.

If you want to help your search for good information I recommend our moderator, goofyone. I find the information he provides the most helpful and the most insiteful. We had one other person earlier in the year who had a lot of information but then he was out of the country for a while and then on the road for a while more so he seems pretty busy these days. There are several other people with a lot of knowledge so if you use the search function you will probably run across them as you read up on your selected topics. There is an incredible depth of knowledge represented in this group and they are generally very friendly and forthcoming on their favorite topics. I hope you enjoy this group and that it will help make the waiting a little easier. I have only known about the Elio since January so my frustration is not as deep as yours. Also I design and make my own clothes and it is not unusual for a glitch to occur so something I thought would take two days to make ends up taking much longer - sometimes even months. That definitely makes me much more patient with EM's delays and frankly I don't expect them to tell me every detail of what is happening. That is their business. Mine is being a customer who has the privilege to enjoy this incredible experience of following the development, production and finally the ownership of my Elio. The pleasure is all mine and I am grateful for it. :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
To focus your research for details of why it was delayed, research the sale of the factory and the involvement of the parish government, which had a snowball effect of loss of confidence by investors resulting in delayed funding, resulting in the big delay that you reference.

FYI: That situation was finally resolved in May 2014 and shortly after that they announced that production should begin September 2015 & deliveries in 3rd quarter 2015.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To focus your research for details of why it was delayed, research the sale of the factory and the involvement of the parish government, which had a snowball effect of loss of confidence by investors resulting in delayed funding, resulting in the big delay that you reference.

FYI: That situation was finally resolved in May 2014 and shortly after that they announced that production should begin September 2014 & deliveries in 3rd quarter 2014.
Joshua, don't you mean 2015 production and deliveries? :-) Z

Top Bottom