• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What's Your Production Number? - Share You Number With Everyone On This Thread!

ElioEric

Elio Fan
Reaction score
View attachment 12087
Eric, no one is changing the rules. The auto Trans has been and is a option. You have a choice . I locked my Elio price at $7,000.00, but I know that I must pay for any extras that I chose. I never expected any extras for nothing. I am a happy Elio owner that has committed to Elio. No beefs, Just wish that it was rolling of the assembly line.

Well, in actuality you are NOT an Elio owner....as you do not own an Elio. If you do, you clearly do not represent those of us on this site. You may be a content perspective owner who remitted a deposit for the ability to purchase an Elio in the upcoming future. So did I. And (from the price that you quote) I did so before you apparently. And when I got into the mix, there was no mention of an upcharge for Auto transmission. If there was by the time you got involve, great! All of the cards were on the table for you. However, in the beginning the Elio was offered with a 4-fold business plan. It was priced at $6700 (to remain under $7k), it was to exceed 80 MPG, it was to be 90% or greater American made and it was to include unsurpassed safety devices. When I joined there were certain standard features that came with the vehicle and at that time, the option of transmission choice was one of them (so was cruise control). To change standard options (or in this case modify them to include an upcharge) should IMO apply to those who join as of the time that change is made.

I understand your unbridled enthusiasm! Trust me, I was initially equally as enthused. Additionally, I am a grown, well educated man, and I am aware that contacting Elio with issues is a more effective way to see results or even to "get your message" to them. However, this venue was designed to discuss issues, ideas, information and yes even for venting if I so desire. I recognize that you are a moderator but if you are not affiliated with Elio nor under their employ, I would assume that you have no issue with such posts as I have broken no rules but merely posted my opinion and/or feeling (that for which blogs are designed) Your option is not to agree with it if it doesn't interest you and to inform me if I do violate any rules of the site. I can almost guarantee you that someone who has been involved with this project for as long as I, likely feels the same way. There is strength in numbers and maybe Elio will recognize their less than above board handling of the policy change. If it didn't impact you in a way that makes you uncomfortable, I am happy for you! I am not in the same situation.

Sincerely,
ElioEric

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, in actuality you are NOT an Elio owner....as you do not own an Elio. If you do, you clearly do not represent those of us on this site. You may be a content perspective owner who remitted a deposit for the ability to purchase an Elio in the upcoming future. So did I. And (from the price that you quote) I did so before you apparently. And when I got into the mix, there was no mention of an upcharge for Auto transmission. If there was by the time you got involve, great! All of the cards were on the table for you. However, in the beginning the Elio was offered with a 4-fold business plan. It was priced at $6700 (to remain under $7k), it was to exceed 80 MPG, it was to be 90% or greater American made and it was to include unsurpassed safety devices. When I joined there were certain standard features that came with the vehicle and at that time, the option of transmission choice was one of them (so was cruise control). To change standard options (or in this case modify them to include an upcharge) should IMO apply to those who join as of the time that change is made.

I understand your unbridled enthusiasm! Trust me, I was initially equally as enthused. Additionally, I am a grown, well educated man, and I am aware that contacting Elio with issues is a more effective way to see results or even to "get your message" to them. However, this venue was designed to discuss issues, ideas, information and yes even for venting if I so desire. I recognize that you are a moderator but if you are not affiliated with Elio nor under their employ, I would assume that you have no issue with such posts as I have broken no rules but merely posted my opinion and/or feeling (that for which blogs are designed) Your option is not to agree with it if it doesn't interest you and to inform me if I do violate any rules of the site. I can almost guarantee you that someone who has been involved with this project for as long as I, likely feels the same way. There is strength in numbers and maybe Elio will recognize their less than above board handling of the policy change. If it didn't impact you in a way that makes you uncomfortable, I am happy for you! I am not in the same situation.

Sincerely,
ElioEric
ElioEric, As a self proclaimed well educated man, what part of high risk and no guarantee don't you understand?

ElioEric

Elio Fan
Reaction score
ElioEric, As a self proclaimed well educated man, what part of high risk and no guarantee don't you understand? No guarantee is precisely why I'm currently not a reservationist.
I understand every part of high risk. That in no way prevents me from sharing my feelings on "changing the rules in the middle of the game". An option (that Elio clearly elected NOT to take) was to apply any subsequent changes to new members who had not yet committed (such as yourself). Thereby, insuring that the agreement you make when you decide to commit remains as close to unchanged as reasonably possible. Again, clearly NOT the direction that Elio chose. Your right not to commit, my right to vent my displeasure with their decision. Again, I have been involved longer than most. But even if you joined today, you have a right to your opinion and I have a right not to listen if I don't desire! I hope that puts it in perspective for you!

Last edited:

ElioEric

Elio Fan
Reaction score
View attachment 12087
Eric, no one is changing the rules. The auto Trans has been and is a option. You have a choice . I locked my Elio price at $7,000.00, but I know that I must pay for any extras that I chose. I never expected any extras for nothing. I am a happy Elio owner that has committed to Elio. No beefs, Just wish that it was rolling of the assembly line.
Yes! Some one is clearly changing the rules! If it didn't happen to you, great! However, If an option goes from no cost to over $1k - that, my dear sir, is a change! And a rather significant one, in my book! I am glad that you are happy! This particular issue is one with which I am displeased!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the facts are simple .... EM has established both targeted base prices and target mpg's .... along the way prices have fluctuated during the development as they get price quotes on every nut and bolt .... I don't recall them ever promising that manual and automatic transmissions would be offered at the same price ..... I do recall that early on they estimated the difference in cost between a standard and automatic being a few hundred dollars but that appears to have been optimistic .... on the plus side, at one time a cruise control wasn't included as a base item but over time they have found a way to do so .... once they became convinced that the base price for a standard Elio had to be raised $6,800 to $7,300, they decided to give folks with reservations an opportunity to lock in a $7,000 .... the reality is, all a reservation has ever given a person is a spot in line to get an Elio prior to the general public .... further that the final price will be the base plus options plus tax plus delivery plus title/tag .... available standard features and options have come and gone and will continue to do so ....

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You DID read the contract before you sent in your $$$$, right ;)
Maybe, but I think he's filling in his version as he recalls it.
I just asked EM to send me a copy of the agreement folks were signing off on at that time.
This way it's not a guess, but the actual facts.

I know, who can be bothered with facts. ;)

Top Bottom