• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I really dislike fender skirts. I'll gladly give up a mpg or two to not look like I'm driving something lifted right off the pages of a 1952 Popular Science magazine. I thought the wheels on the original prototypes looked great.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really dislike fender skirts. I'll gladly give up a mpg or two to not look like I'm driving something lifted right off the pages of a 1952 Popular Science magazine. I thought the wheels on the original prototypes looked great.
I'm sure you will be giving a lot more than a mpg or two without fender skirts.

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm sure you will be giving a lot more than a mpg or two without fender skirts.
Well until we can see results of wind tunnel or road tests, neither of us really know. I still think it'll only be a mpg or two. Of course aerodynamic effects increase exponentially with speed, so what is worth 1 mpg at 50 mph might be 4 mpg at 70.

Virtually every car I can think of that came out sporting fender skirts lost them by the second year of manufacture. The uglyness factor is just too high, they don't sell well. People will pay a little more (in increased drag) to not wince every time they look at their car.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Virtually every car I can think of that came out sporting fender skirts lost them by the second year of manufacture. The uglyness factor is just too high, they don't sell well. People will pay a little more (in increased drag) to not wince every time they look at their car.

I didn't like the new wheel covers at first, but they have grown on me. Besides I don't think I have ever heard anyone say, "DAMN, that Prius looks awesome!" It's going to be a commuter car for me, so I'm more like, "Oh yeah, look at the mpg's on that thing." Look on the bright side; they'll be easier to clean than the wheels would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't like the new wheel covers at first, but they have grown on me. Besides I don't think I have ever heard anyone say, "DAMN, that Prius looks awesome!" It's going to be a commuter car for me, so I'm more like, "Oh yeah, look at the mpg's on that thing." Look on the bright side; they'll easier to clean than the wheels would be.

The Prius is gonna look like a gas guzzler compared to the Elio if it actually gets 84 MPG! :)

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Prius is gonna look like a gas guzzler compared to the Elio if it actually gets 84 MPG! :)
It seems that most, not all, but most Prius owners drive by us folks in normal gas powered car as if we are beneath them. It will be hard to not drive past them in the non hybrid, gas powered Elio without a smug smile on my face. Knowing that I will not have to dump $5,000 to $6,000 into a battery around 150,000 to 200,000 miles of ownership. The Elio will probably last longer than that based on current gas engine technology.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems that most, not all, but most Prius owners drive by us folks in normal gas powered car as if we are beneath them. It will be hard to not drive past them in the non hybrid, gas powered Elio without a smug smile on my face. Knowing that I will not have to dump $5,000 to $6,000 into a battery around 150,000 to 200,000 miles of ownership. The Elio will probably last longer than that based on current gas engine technology.

Yup and not need to spend $25,000.00 to be "green"..

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would have to agree that I like to open wheel a little better due to the fact that I could put on custom wheels but I will take an ELIO any way it comes. The latest prototype looks great with the integrated head lights and I will get use to the fenders, I just want one in my garage no matter what color or fenders.

Top Bottom