• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

When - Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, first, Paul is alive. Second. The prototype is still running. Third. No mention of financial aid. Fourth. Elio could sell off more equipment from the Louisiana plant and move production to another state. Fifth. They still couldn't sell it in Ohio directly because of franchise laws.
Still, something may come of it. Perhaps I got a little hope back? We will see.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks xAaron for your find and post.

It’s great to see both Elios in public! My fingers are crossed - that there is something good brewing. Not a slam against any Louisiana fans around here - but with the court ruling, I would likely look elsewhere to build the car too. Perhaps there are some deep pockets wanting to see production in Ohio?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Commitment to purchase price = $7,000 minus $1,000 deposit minus $500 bonus = $5500 balance to purchase.
By last count, there's just under 22K reservations that will pay $5500 out of pocket. I offer you $100 and then it costs me $5600. This is all dependent on if people are serious about giving up.

Also, Paul must read these forums because I did mention many times to get out of LA. With OH having an empty plant that is much more modern and up to date, it's a much better choice. Plus, many of Elio's suppliers have operations in OH. I know, I do work for them and in that state quite often. The big one for OH is Honda thus the reason why equipment and suppliers are littered all over the state.

This move to OH will get much more interest. Plus they get out of that terrible deal they have in LA.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The public sighting of Paul Elio and the black E1c is encouraging, on a very small magnitude.

But think about the realities here -- Elio Motors does not have a factory problem. They've been leasing (correction: deferring lease payments) on a GM automotive production facility in Caddo Parish, LA for years. It was so robust in its preparedness and capabilities to produce legitimate consumer vehicles that Elio Motors strategically positioned itself in order to sell off and profiteer off of surplus equipment and machinery that would not be necessary to produce the Elio vehicle.

The prospect of Paul Elio courting politicians in Columbus to supposedly inquire about producing the vehicle at the GM Lordstown plant isn't even logical. There is certainly not enough demand for the Elio vehicle to justify starting production with more than one factory, let alone the duplicitous and obscenely unnecessary overhead costs of maintaining and operating two plants that would each be running at partial capacity. There is absolutely no efficiency argument to make there.

So let's presume that Elio is looking to walk away from their lease agreement in Louisiana and start anew somewhere else instead. What an outstanding waste of resources, accumulated debt, stacked up contractual penalties, legal fees, litigation assessments, and compounded interest on top of penalty interest rates and late payment charges! All for nothing? What would come of the daily assessed penalty for not creating XXX new automotive jobs by a given date? Would the Company still go through the administrative hoops of paying to acquire the appropriate manufacturer/dealer licenses from the State of Louisiana to avoid being penalized daily for not doing so, despite a corporate intent never to build in Louisiana? Would Elio Motors dare remove even more equipment for scrap or resale knowing full well that they'd be walking away from the plant in Louisiana?

When it seems encouraging to catch a news story involving Elio Motors and Paul himself, it raises more questions than it answers. Elio Motors does not have a factory problem; they have a funding problem paired with a failed business plan. Speaking to Ohio politicians doesn't change that.

Would they be conveniently closer to much of their Midwestern supply chain? Sure. Could that potentially cut production costs? Maybe. But the State of Ohio is one whose legislators sleep comfortably with automotive franchise dealership lobby groups, so Elio's direct-to-consumer sales strategy is already a flop there. And the looming dark cloud of negative press, indebtedness, legal fees, litigation assessments, administrative penalties, etc from Louisiana would carry with them to Ohio.

I just don't see how even positive news from this Columbus sighting gets Paul any nearer to production readiness. Sure, the powers that be may grant his company access to lease a portion of the Lordstown GM facility. Then he'd have contractual obligations to pay maintenance and upkeep costs on not one but two factories that he's not in a position to use. Let's not forget, every E-series vehicle that had been hand-made by Technosports Creative is now obsolete given the significant design changes that had been committed to, including the one shown off in Columbus. They're starting over from square one just in terms of developing and testing the vehicle, let alone preparing to mass-market and mass-produce it.

Shopping for factories and lobbying politicians is all well and good, but nothing matters until Paul receives a giant check with lots of zeroes.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The public sighting of Paul Elio and the black E1c is encouraging, on a very small magnitude.

But think about the realities here -- Elio Motors does not have a factory problem. They've been leasing (correction: deferring lease payments) on a GM automotive production facility in Caddo Parish, LA for years. It was so robust in its preparedness and capabilities to produce legitimate consumer vehicles that Elio Motors strategically positioned itself in order to sell off and profiteer off of surplus equipment and machinery that would not be necessary to produce the Elio vehicle.

The prospect of Paul Elio courting politicians in Columbus to supposedly inquire about producing the vehicle at the GM Lordstown plant isn't even logical. There is certainly not enough demand for the Elio vehicle to justify starting production with more than one factory, let alone the duplicitous and obscenely unnecessary overhead costs of maintaining and operating two plants that would each be running at partial capacity. There is absolutely no efficiency argument to make there.

So let's presume that Elio is looking to walk away from their lease agreement in Louisiana and start anew somewhere else instead. What an outstanding waste of resources, accumulated debt, stacked up contractual penalties, legal fees, litigation assessments, and compounded interest on top of penalty interest rates and late payment charges! All for nothing? What would come of the daily assessed penalty for not creating XXX new automotive jobs by a given date? Would the Company still go through the administrative hoops of paying to acquire the appropriate manufacturer/dealer licenses from the State of Louisiana to avoid being penalized daily for not doing so, despite a corporate intent never to build in Louisiana? Would Elio Motors dare remove even more equipment for scrap or resale knowing full well that they'd be walking away from the plant in Louisiana?

When it seems encouraging to catch a news story involving Elio Motors and Paul himself, it raises more questions than it answers. Elio Motors does not have a factory problem; they have a funding problem paired with a failed business plan. Speaking to Ohio politicians doesn't change that.

Would they be conveniently closer to much of their Midwestern supply chain? Sure. Could that potentially cut production costs? Maybe. But the State of Ohio is one whose legislators sleep comfortably with automotive franchise dealership lobby groups, so Elio's direct-to-consumer sales strategy is already a flop there. And the looming dark cloud of negative press, indebtedness, legal fees, litigation assessments, administrative penalties, etc from Louisiana would carry with them to Ohio.

I just don't see how even positive news from this Columbus sighting gets Paul any nearer to production readiness. Sure, the powers that be may grant his company access to lease a portion of the Lordstown GM facility. Then he'd have contractual obligations to pay maintenance and upkeep costs on not one but two factories that he's not in a position to use. Let's not forget, every E-series vehicle that had been hand-made by Technosports Creative is now obsolete given the significant design changes that had been committed to, including the one shown off in Columbus. They're starting over from square one just in terms of developing and testing the vehicle, let alone preparing to mass-market and mass-produce it.

Shopping for factories and lobbying politicians is all well and good, but nothing matters until Paul receives a giant check with lots of zeroes.

I think it's a brilliant move! Amazon does that when they try to build a new headquarters... eventually, cities are pitted against one another till they start offering tax incentives, seed money, whatever. Louisiana has money to get things started as is evident by the way they bought the plant in the first place. Perhaps Ohio will offer some kind of incentive to get Elio (A-lio, apparently) to move into town. It may not be a guarantee of Elio success but it's one hell of a lot better than what we've been hearing from Elio. I'm a little disappointed that we heard it from a link here first before Elio told us though.

It's also pretty good to see Elio in the news in a positive light. that won't hurt any kind of financing deal. Seeing the Elio up in Ohio with Paul and talks of using a factory up there shows that Paul hasn't thrown in the towel just yet and THAT is indeed a VERY GOOD thing!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure that LA bought the plant??- What little cells I got left, thought it was a business fellow familiar with real estate. Stewart....??
I knew, when I saw many of the items selling from the factory on Ebay there had to be a VERY small market for that equipment.
And to think the state would even consider offering any incentives for a company with EM's track record would be politically and financially stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom